Checking torch and cell batteries with a multimeter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can this be done without using a resistor (on the DC low volt scale) say by the amp setting or other? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You mean cell under load condition?
If the open circuit cell voltage is above 1.5 volts, cell is good to go. Terminal voltage less than 1.5 indicates cell will not provide stable volts under load

Are you trying to determine the current being pushed by the cell? Depends on the battery.

An 18650 cell will be 4.2v full charged and 3.6v empty. A test meter with a DC current check can measure amps inline when the torch is on

You don't say what type of cell, I remember my CSE physics exam, being asked about a Daniel Cell, and I had never heard of one, seems used to calibrate voltmeters.

One looks at a battery to see just Alkaline, Zinc, Zinc Chloride, Ni-Mh, Nickel-Cadmium or Li-ion and that is just the ones found on my desk. The declared voltage varies from 1.2 to 1.5 volt.

I have studied Lead Acid, and can say how to test these, but with other types it gets more complex, and of course state of charge matters.

So in the main test no load, and 1.3 for rechargeable and 1.5 for primary cells is seen as in the main the pass mark. Just tested a CR 2016 at 3.18 volts a Lithium cell. Today we find more and more lamps using the button cells.

Sponsored Links
You don't say what type of cell, I remember my CSE physics exam, being asked about a Daniel Cell, and I had never heard of one, seems used to calibrate voltmeters.
We still run experiments using Leclanché cells,

1672440654752.png

And cyclon cells! :)
1672440764157.png

Back