Cheetah in the boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 6 year old Boulter Camray 5, oil fired boiler which has run faultlessly in the 3 years we’ve lived at the property. A couple of days ago it started making a noise which I can only describe as sounding like an intermittent Cheetah wail. The noise starts approx 5 minutes after firing from cold & continues for around 20 minutes until the boiler & heating system is fully up to temp & then it stops completely until the system cools down overnight & re-starts!

Any suggestions as to what may be causing it? Is there anything I could easily check? I’ve no previous experience with oil fired boilers but was told Boulter units were bullet proof; but am I getting early sings of a kerosene pump failure?

Sponsored Links
Motor bearings are usually the cause!

Also check oil pump shaft seal for leakage into bearing!

Motor bearings are usually the cause!

Also check oil pump shaft seal for leakage into bearing!
Thanks for the quick response; sort of what I was thinking; can they be easily & separately replaced or are we talking a complete unit replacement here?

I have only needed to replace 3 RDB motors and all under guarantee!

Bearings for earlier riello motors are cheap and readily availlable, although I usually replace the complete motor!!

No doubt someone on this site will have a reference for them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back