Chest freezer for outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at chest freezers with the intention of putting one in my completely unheated workshop.

The majority of fridges and freezers are rated for 10-43 Celsius ambient temperature, with a tiny minority rated down to -15.

Now, I have previously told friends "careful putting that freezer in the (detached, unheated) garage, it's not rated for it" only to be proven wrong. I'm in Bedfordshire, it gets down to about 5 degrees for extended periods in winter, with short spells of sub zero temps (when freezer operations become somewhat academic). Were my friends lucky or is it the case that there is usually sufficient headroom in freezers that rated down to 10 Celsius means "works fine at 0-5 Celsius too"?

Is there some paradox where freezers start using loads of energy below their rated ambient temperature?

Sponsored Links
Loads of chest freezers are rated for outbuildings? I've actually been looking recently as my house (and loads others round here) comes with a separate brick shed with electricity and plumbing and half the items on AO and Currys say they're suitable

We have been in our current house for just over 8 years and have always had one of the uprights in a shed during all that time. No heating, just power for the light and socket(s). Work perfectly and no signs of rust.

Sponsored Links
Loads of chest freezers are rated for outbuildings? I've actually been looking recently as my house (and loads others round here) comes with a separate brick shed with electricity and plumbing and half the items on AO and Currys say they're suitable
Funnily enough it was a browse on AO that had me scratching my chin at how hard and fast this rating is: 24 models of chest freezer, but only 4 are listed as suitable for outbuildings. These were a pretty limited selection of 3 Bekos and a Fridgemaster.

yes indeed the outhouse is say 8 degrees the fridge will operate for a wee bit to say 4 degrees or the actual temperature is 4 degrees for a week then no action required to cool the fridge so no cooling at all so freezer at around zero to 4 degrees as it thaws out

Funnily enough it was a browse on AO that had me scratching my chin at how hard and fast this rating is: 24 models of chest freezer, but only 4 are listed as suitable for outbuildings. These were a pretty limited selection of 3 Bekos and a Fridgemaster.
Yeah, I bought a a Beko freezer for our shed as it was suitable for the heat range in the shed - freezing in winter, roasting in summer.

Same Here, I always buy Bosch appliances, but on this occasion Bosch didn't make a chest freezer for low temperature outbuildings, so after a lot of research went for a nice big Beko.
Had it for around 6 years and its been great an not expensive to run, and works well in my garage which can get to around 4 degrees c on very cold nights

Writing this as the temperature has dropped to -2 here... So much for my "5 degrees for extended periods"!

I think I'll go for the Beko, glad to hear some good experiences of them.

There is a problem with auto defrost, the defrost cycle will not clear if too cold.

However chest freezers rarely have auto defrost, and do not have fridges, so can't really see why some have a minimum temperature. I can only think rust.

Writing this as the temperature has dropped to -2 here... So much for my "5 degrees for extended periods"!

I think I'll go for the Beko, glad to hear some good experiences of them.
You won't be disappointed its a great freezer and has served us well, it doesn't seem to frost up much either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back