Chicken Coop lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a chicken coop on an allotment. I want to put a PIR light up on the outside where the path is so I can see where I'm going when I visit at night. I've bought a 24V-230V inverter for use with a 24 V batterry. The plan was to put the battery and inverter in a chicken proof ventilated box inside the coop and run a cable to a 60W PIR light on the outside. What would I need in the circuit to meet regs. Do I need metal-clad fused switch? Do I need to earth the light circuit? Do I need an RCD?

Sponsored Links
With the setup you propose, the inverter would have to run constantly to make 230 Volts available to the PIR and lamp, otherwise it won't work. That would make for a very short battery life.

To eliminate the inefficiencies of converting your 24V DC to 230V AC, I would consider using automotive/boat/caravan components. In the absence of a purpose-made 24 Volt PIR lamp, you could probably use something like an alarm system PIR sensor operating a relay to switch the lighting.

I would consider using automotive LED lamps or 24 Volt fluorescent lamps for more efficient lighting than conventional tungsten lamps.

With the setup you propose, the inverter would have to run constantly to make 230 Volts available to the PIR and lamp, otherwise it won't work. That would make for a very short battery life.
Never mind - this chap will be able to see perfectly well without it..

1024954.jpg

Anyway - flimbin:

1) Are you sure you're allowed to keep livestock on your allotment? From what I hear there are long waiting lists, and you don't want to give the council an excuse to kick you off. (And you'd be foolish to think that none of your fellow allotment-holders would ever complain)

2) Plan B:

28112318-450x450-0-0_Energizer_Eveready_Utility_Lantern_Uses_6V_Lantern.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could always train the chickens to sh*t through a hole in the floor then use the dung to generate electricity...

From what I hear there are long waiting lists, and you don't want to give the council an excuse to kick you off. (And you'd be foolish to think that none of your fellow allotment-holders would ever complain)
My grandad's house backs onto an allotment site. He has one of them. For the first time in about 10 years all the plots are being used.

One of the plots is being used by a man who sells his flowers on markets. He has greenhouses galore - one time this was banned on these sites, to stop them looking like shantys. He had to get special permission from the council, but it shows they will allow it if a plot is being used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back