Chicken Coop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to make a chicken coop for 12 laying hens because all the ones I have liked are way too expensive. I want to use marine ply because of it's weather resistance and lack of places for red mite to hide but all of the posts I have seen on the stuff have mentioned how expensive it is. Does anybody know how expensive enough marine ply for a chicken house would be in the UK and would it be suitable product for a chicken house. :?:

Sponsored Links
go for 12mm exteriour ply around £20 an 8x4 sheet build you roof with a good overhang extend the bottom edge 1" beyond the floor or any other part off the structure and give it 2 or 3 coats of animal freindly coating and felt on the roof
this should last for around 7 years if you recoat and felt after 5 it should go on for another 5 years

Thank you very much for your reply, I will try that ....... just hope hubby and I can manage to hammer the nails in straight. :)

Sponsored Links
or perhaps a timber frame and tongue and groove cladding with a suitable weatherproof finish?

Thank you Chris for your reply. Sorry for responding late. I have seen some with the tongue and groove cladding you mentioned. They look very nice so might go that way. I've decided on a portable one that I can move around the garden so which ever way is lightest I'll go with. Thank you both again for your input. :D

Thank you Chris for your reply. Sorry for responding late. I have seen some with the tongue and groove cladding you mentioned. They look very nice so might go that way. I've decided on a portable one that I can move around the garden so which ever way is lightest I'll go with. Thank you both again for your input. :D

youve just seen the program on the telly where the printer turned his hand to building the coops and finnishrd up with 36 workers :D :D !!!

For the roof you would be better off using onduline or something similar, and not felt. When you get red mite under the felt you'll never get rid of them. Don't under estimate the problem of red mite.

The whole house should be designed so there is nowhere for the mite to hide, the least amount of cracks and crevices you can manage. Don't build it to look "nice", it's more important that it's functional.

The easiest I've found is just ply. Treat it once a year, lasts for ages. I've tried a few remedies for mite and in my opinion creosote is the best. The problem then is you will need two sheds for the hens but they will last.

think ive seen it on here that you are not allowed to use creosote?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back