Chimney breast air vent...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, currently got 2 chimney breasts in my house. One of them I want to block up, board over and fit a radiator too and the other i've opened up more in the hope of fitting a log burner in the near future.

I'm just wondering if I need to fit an air vent of some kind into the chimney breast that I am blocking up on the ground floor?

The two upstairs bedrooms both have large'ish open/close wall vents fitted on the chimney breasts in the rooms. Are these still required too?

Sponsored Links
If possible, do allow air to circulate through your chimney....helps to keep any damp away.
Vents at the bottom and top are preferable, and can be internal or external.
John :)

So I should definitely look at installing a vent of some kind on the ground floor breast that we're blocking up. There is also currently quite large vents on the chimney breasts in the bedrooms, do they need to stay?

Also, what do you mean by internal or external? My house is a 1930's semi and the chimney breast backs onto the adjoining houses chimney breast - how would I git an external vent here?

In this case the vents would have to be internal....all you need is a gentle exchange of air within the chimney. Discrete air vents will work fine.
At the chimney pot end, I have seen a terracotta gas terminal used instead of a chimney pot - and it worked fine in that case.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the help guys. I may change the ones in the bedroom too as they look to be about 30cm x 30cm so i'd prefer some that are a bit smaller -the small ones that are around the 230mm x 75mm mark may do the trick.

In the lounge we are eventually going to fit a log burner so would this have any implications for the vent that is in the bedroom directly above it?

Last question, should I get plaster, plastic or metal vents? Or is that just down to personal taste?

All fireplaces should have separate chimneys, therefore the vents in the rooms above can stay.....I would seriously recommend an appropriate chimney liner for your wood burner, though.

Another question relating to this. On the chimney breast that I have to put a vent on I also want to put a radiator.

Will I be OK with the radiator being fitted in front of the vent? Aside from heat leaking out and up the chimney breast when that rad is on will it pose any other issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back