Chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'd really appreciate some advice on a chimney breast removal I have recently had done in my kitchen. I feel that it isn't supported properly as it looks as though the steel is only supporting one section f the chimney breast and the back bricks are left unsupported. Please can somebody advise? I have uploaded 2 images in my album, link is below. I'd really appreciate your input as I need to try and put my mind at rest.

//www.diynot.com/network/Callismichael/albums/

Thank you
Michael

Sponsored Links
It's got a lot more support than most people's chimney breasts get. They're usually supported on steel gallows brackets, one placed either side.
This job should have gone through local building control who will tell you whether the support was adequate, check in with them for peace of mind.

Thanks joe Malone. The builder has since been back and built a wooden joist casing. Does anyone think that this will now be suffucient?

Sponsored Links
Looks like it has been well supported!

The unsupported brickwork is tied in.

The best way to support a chimney is what you have got - a steel beam spanning wall-to-wall.
Due to the nature of the beast, its not practical to support the whole depth of the chimney, which could be anything from 13" to 18" deep or more. There may appear to be some loose bricks at the back but brickwork can be largely self-supporting due to the bonding. If you pull out those few loose bricks, (probably no more than 2 or 3) you will find the rest stay firm and solid. Stop worrying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back