Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Wondering if anyone could advise me on a plastering problem. I need my living room skimmed over and in places the plaster is blown.I have removed it completely around the chimney breast as it was about to fall off in parts anyway. My query is that I have had two professionals quote for the job one has said that he will board the chimney and skim it, the other said he will base coat it then skim. There is a price difference as you would expect but if you lads were doing your own house which would you do?

Sponsored Links
Base coat & skim will be the prefered solution here. How mush difference in cost are you talking about?

Sponsored Links
im with the others on this one. I made a big mistake with my house and boarded and skimmed my lounge. I was in a rush to do it before xmas a few years ago so took the easy option. Its an old terraced house and sounds hollow when it should sound nice and solid. I know its a bit sad but im a bit fussy like that. It might be a bit more expensive but its worth it.

I would go with either base coat & slim or float & set on normal walls & it much depends on circumstances but a chimney breast or around a stove needs special consideration. You guys are regular enough on here to know how often this comes up & how often I bang on about it; Gypsum & heat just do not go together.

Do not board your chimney breast with Gypsum board & that includes Fireboard & be very careful plastering around a fire or on a chimney breast. Do not use Gypsum plaster base or finish as it will not stand more than 50 degrees C for any length of time; it will crack, blow & fall off he wall, read here;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
here;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751
& probably many others ;)

The guy who said he would board it and coat was also going to board the ceiling and skim the walls for £450.00 which I thought was cheap. The other guy said for the same work £600 and he was going to bond it and skim. The first guy kept fobbing me of with dates so I have told him to forget it. I just want it done the best way so the stuff is safe around the chimney breast and won't crack after a few weeks.

Thanks for all the replies I have another plaster coming to look at the job today so I am a lot more in touch with what should be done. Looking at your other posts Richard when you say base coat you mean sand cement and Lime mortar mix? Are there any other manufactured materials that can be used around a chimney breast? It is my intention to get an inset gas fire fitted with a marble surround so there would be no direct heat in contact with the plaster
//media.diynot.com/75000_74628_27900_57254107_thumb.jpg

Looking at your other posts Richard when you say base coat you mean sand cement and Lime mortar mix?
A base coat can be Gypsum base plaster or render but you need a sand/cement/lime base where temperature are liable to exceed 50 degrees C.
Are there any other manufactured materials that can be used around a chimney breast?
You can get heatproof render (there is a link on the other threads) but it’s expensive & sand/cement/lime seems to be just as effective.
It is my intention to get an inset gas fire fitted with a marble surround so there would be no direct heat in contact with the plaster
//media.diynot.com/75000_74628_27900_57254107_thumb.jpg
It depends how large the marble surround is & how much heat the gas fire transfers into the wall & chimney breast; I’m not sure how much you will get with a gas fire, never been involved with one but with an open fire or log/multi-fuel burner, the area affected can be as much as 500mm either side & 800mm above the opening. The better stoves always come with building installation advice & guidance & these are usually available on-line; if not, contact the fire manufacturer direct for guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back