Chimney dropped 2 feet into loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not my disaster but i had a call 2 weeks ago and they said my chimneys dropped and could i have a look.Off i went and the chimney in question was defying gravity,leaning at an acute angle.It had also dropped around 2 feet into loft space.The reason=The guy decided to enlarge the bedroom and hoiw did he do this lol.He decided to remove the chimney breast from the ceiling to the floor but leaving the rest in place with very little holding the rest up.He done this and all was well for around 3 months.Then it hapened,The chimney dropped around 2 feet,bricks came through the bedroom ceiling and how the chimney didnt completley go is a mystery to me and hellish good luck for him as it would have wrecked the house.I do have a picture and will try to upload it later.Just when you think youve seen it all the DIYer goes and shocks you again.Ive seen some DIy disaters in my time but this took the biscuit. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
was talking to a customer a few weeks back who was gonna do that, warned him against it, don't know if he's taken any notice though, time will tell eh

Sponsored Links
Where's the photo!!
Would be happy to post it if you can tell me how :oops: At the mo its in my phone in a 5 second video(thought i was taking still pc) as im sure youve gussed im not an expert at such things but as stated post simple instructions and id be happy to post it or if you really want to see it i do know how to send it by text.

Nah, this was in Ulverston two weeks ago, be good to see some pic's tho, customer thought I was winding him up to begin with when I told him what could happen,
1, transfer your photo's to your PC if possible
2, press the "upload pictures" tab above
3, Create an album and upload the file into that album
4, put a link in the forum to the photo's

Nah, this was in Ulverston two weeks ago, be good to see some pic's tho, customer thought I was winding him up to begin with when I told him what could happen,
1, transfer your photo's to your PC if possible
2, press the "upload pictures" tab above
3, Create an album and upload the file into that album
4, put a link in the forum to the photo's
Ill give it a whirl tomorrow as seeing is believing lol.

Cumbrianroofer30yrsexp said:
The guy decided to enlarge the bedroom and hoiw did he do this lol.He decided to remove the chimney breast from the ceiling to the floor but leaving the rest in place with very little holding the rest up.
I went to view a property last year where someone had done this very thing. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was a big chimney and a very big overhang ...

Cumbrianroofer30yrsexp said:
The guy decided to enlarge the bedroom and hoiw did he do this lol.He decided to remove the chimney breast from the ceiling to the floor but leaving the rest in place with very little holding the rest up.
I went to view a property last year where someone had done this very thing. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was a big chimney and a very big overhang ...

I looked at a property a few year back and looked it the loft, there was a bit chimney breast [4 pots] but no sign of it in the bedroom, I asked about it and the vendor said it had been like it for the 10years or so they had been there. on closer inspection the only thing under the bricks was plasterboard.

We [vendor & I] spoke to the neighbours and the builders did theirs at the same time and, on inspection, to the same standard. So there was an 8 pot chimney about 10-12 feet high sitting on a 9" wall.

I left quickly and noticed the following week there was scaff up. Big up to them for sorting it and not scarpering.

Any chimney removal if only part remove requires building regs, where i come from if you are to take the full chimney out from ground floor all the way up inc the stack on the roof does not require regs,

if you take lets say the lounge one away it would need supporting with an RSJ across the full width of the room, the rsj would sit directly under the ceiling to carry the weight above, if you take away the one in the bedroom then this would also need support in the loft space either with gallows bracket or RSJ

Any chimney removal if only part remove requires building regs, where i come from if you are to take the full chimney out from ground floor all the way up inc the stack on the roof does not require regs,

if you take lets say the lounge one away it would need supporting with an RSJ across the full width of the room, the rsj would sit directly under the ceiling to carry the weight above, if you take away the one in the bedroom then this would also need support in the loft space either with gallows bracket or RSJ
Its always a good idea to check with your council. The regs vary greatly. These days many no longer allow a gallows bracket to be used. Some allow a gallows bracket but only if the chimney breast on the adjoining wall was intact. Party wall agreements also come into play.

Removing the chimney at various levels would always need surveying as to how they have been constructed.

I have seen a 2 story chimney corbled (spelling) with the ground floor removed with no probs/ movement at all.

There is also other elements to take into account. I didnt know ( untill i had a structural engineer at a job for) that if the dividing wall (terrace) is single skin then the stack may not be removed as it is usually structrual.

Removing the chimney at various levels would always need surveying as to how they have been constructed.

I have seen a 2 story chimney corbled (spelling) with the ground floor removed with no probs/ movement at all.

There is also other elements to take into account. I didnt know ( untill i had a structural engineer at a job for ME) that if the dividing wall (terrace) is single skin then the stack may not be removed as it is usually structrual.

There is also other elements to take into account. I didnt know ( untill i had a structural engineer at a job for ME) that if the dividing wall (terrace) is single skin then the stack may not be removed as it is usually structrual.

TV camera footage from the Blitz, usually shows that the chimney stack is the most structural part of a building, and is all that remains of a building, when blown up. So removing it, would seem to be a no no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back