Storage in Victorian roof space 3 x 2 ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would be nice to put some boards down for storage in this Victorian roof space and be able to move around, store Christmas decorations and other stuff. It's at the back above my sons bedroom, accessed from a hatch on the landing - headroom in centre is about 5', there is no lighting.

The purlins have supports, 3 on one side, 2 on the other which are 3 x 1 sized.

The ceiling joists below are 3 x 2 which seem to be spaced about 1' and rest on an internal brick wall which goes all the way down to the cellar.

There is the odd Victorian looking T&G plank which presumably are for walking along/getting around the space? Gingerly stood on one and didn't go through. Assume span length of ceiling joists is 13' which is the width of my sons bedroom.

All of this space is covered in insulation, there's a layer between the ceiling joists and another just placed loose on top, air flow is very good looks like either side of the gable roof has vents in the slates.

Is it feasible for this to be used? I've read about adding extra wood running the opposite way to the ceiling joists, insulating between that and then boarding on top?

Here are a couple of pictures.. sorry about the light.. first one is the roof space overview and second is one of the ceiling joists.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could certainly cross batten. What sort of loads were you thinking about and what is the span, please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back