Chimney Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a quote from a roofer for £350 to replace the flashing and some of the soakers around my chimney.
Unfortunately I have joint responsibility for the roof with my downstairs neighbour, who has refused to allow the work to go ahead. He now wants his friend (from the pub) to do the work as he reckons it can be done for £100.
Is this really possible? Or was I about to be ripped off by the roofer I got in? What should I look for once the work has been done to ensure that it is not just a shoddy patch up job?

Sponsored Links
£350 is a realistic quote. it may be a cat ladder job but should still involve two men. materials are only going to be minimal probably well under £100.

if it involved scaffolding you could easily double the quote.

get your binoculars out and look for shiny new lead and new pointing.

Cheers.
If my neighbour's friend doesn't turn up this weekend I'll book the roofer in, even if I have to pay for it all myself. Cheeper in the long run as I won't have to have my ceilings replaced ;)

I`d do it .......but you wouldn`t get a full flashing for that .£100 ;) ................because the back gutter is more complex and needs more tiles removed I am afraid I trust roofers just a little more than I trust blokes in pubs .......particularly "travelling roofers"................PS. I am a leadwork trained Plumber.....I`d advise you to get a written quote for Exactly what you are getting for your £350 ..........and post the details here where there are other leadworking roofers too ...........comments from us are free :)

Sponsored Links
Well, the 'man from the pub' was a no show today. If he doesn't turn up tomorrow I'll just have to contact the roofers and get them to send out a quote.
There are certain H+S issues I'd want to ask the man from the pub (being a construction site worker I know more than they might think a girl would know ;) ) such as insurance, whether his ladder is the correct standard etc.
Will post a quote as soon as I get it, hopefully soon as Wales tends to rain quite a lot!!!

Hi Nige F

About back gutters on a chimney, can you make these onsite or do you have to have dimensions and have them made? If you can make them on site could you email me instructions or drawings on how to make one.

Many thanks, Leo.

dowsabella said:
I just had a quote from a roofer for £350 to replace the flashing and some of the soakers around my chimney.
Unfortunately I have joint responsibility for the roof with my downstairs neighbour, who has refused to allow the work to go ahead. He now wants his friend (from the pub) to do the work as he reckons it can be done for £100.
Is this really possible? Or was I about to be ripped off by the roofer I got in? What should I look for once the work has been done to ensure that it is not just a shoddy patch up job?

Whats wrong with your exsiting lead flashing ? are you getting water coming in your loft/ceilings ?

LEO1966 said:
Hi Nige F

About back gutters on a chimney, can you make these onsite or do you have to have dimensions and have them made? If you can make them on site could you email me instructions or drawings on how to make one.

Many thanks, Leo.
Will this help you?

thanks, masona ;) I`ve been busy with my bike not running :evil: Hardly Rideable :rolleyes: and parts are a rip off :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back