Chimney lintel / support Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am going to be moving my kitchen in a couple of months and I plan to house my cooker in the old chimney breast.

In order to do this I will need to raise the opening in height (not in width). What I would like to do is insert an oak beam to act as the lintel rather than the current concrete one so it looks pretty and can act as a bit of a mantlepiece.
The question is would this be structurally safe? I'd use a substantial piece of oak (maybe 6" x 9" x the length required).

Hope that makes sense!

Hx

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the opening. this is obviously a structural element and needs to be designed properly 6 x 9 is substantial if its 500mm wide not really if its 2000 wide. also the grade of the oak needs to be taken into account as well as the orientation. what is it supporting above? do any floor joists from above run onto it? if so how many floors above is it going to be supporting? is any of the roof structure supported on the chimney?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I feel rather silly as I didn't realize it was going to be that involved esp as the cooker is currently housed in a chimney breast which looks likes it was modified in the 1970's with no *visible* support (I do realize there may be something hidden under the plaster).

Basically all I was looking to do was to maintain the current width which leaves approx 30cms either side of the opening but to increase the height of the opening by approx 80cms.

Is it less involved if i go for the the concrete lintel affair?

Hx

Hi

If you reuse the lintel that is currently in there, just take it out and move it up to the height you want it. The oak option would probably look better but building control would more than likely want to see a calculation. A structural engineer would probably charge £150 for this.

Sponsored Links
Indeed we would :).

Use pcc lintel/s depending on wall thickness, leaving the outer half brick width to be supported on a timber lintel which is wider than half brick, so as to give you a nice projection after the wall is plastered.

Of course, in case BAS is reading this thread, I should point out that as it's structural work, you must submit a Building Notice and have the work inspected by a LABCO.

And now he's looked away, I'll whisper don't bother, use two course pcc lintels and a bit of 150x150 oak and you'll be fine, without involving the local authorit-ah. ;)

Didn't/doesn't oak hold up a lot of Tudor houses without the new fangled PCC lintels?

Indeed, but in case of dogooders like Baaaanal snooping around, best to install....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back