Chimney Pot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’m looking to install a wood burning stove but my current chimney pot isn’t big enough to attach a cowl to. It looks like something was placed on top previously so was wondering if it’s enough to just put a new pot on top with some mortar? I’m reluctant to break up all the flaunching and start from scratch if it’s not needed but any help would be much appreciated.
590E37B7-02C1-485D-8755-E7413770100E.jpeg
21C121D5-108F-4A9B-8D98-735D9A5C96CD.jpeg
B25B667C-105B-4BFC-BA9A-B2CDECC50392.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Unless you prep really well and are able to get a weighty thickness of the correct type of haunching mortar around the new pot, it will likely delaminate. The problem will start at the edges where the reduced haunching thickness will dry out too quickly and break up.
I’d always opt to go back to brick. Will there be a liner fitted?

Thanks for your reply, there will be a flue liner going in. Sounds like the best bet is to get rid of what’s there and start again. It looks like the current pot isn’t sat on anything and I’m not sure how to narrow the opening at the top of the chimney to make a base for the new pot to sit on

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back