Chimney problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: I was certainly surprised when we lit our first open fire, wood was good and we had alight in no time. Even after having the chimney cleaned we had the blowing back, dust and fumes everywhere. Is there anyone out there can advise, we live in a tenement, last but one flat from the top. Very big flats, but I don't know what the structure of the chimneys are within the tenement. why would this happen?.
Your valued opinion would be gratefully received. I'm sure to have missed something out here.
Thanks many of them :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If the chimney has been cleaned properley, then it is safe to assume that there is no blockage.

Now you say you live in a tenement on the top floors (I guess you mean flats??). How old are these flats, as chimney construction has varied over the years.
Ie: is it a traditional stone chimney, flexible flue liner, or clay liners???

If it is a traditional stone chimney, then it could possibly be one of two things:

1. Downdraught - If you live next door to a large building or strucure, wind can be forced downward and cause your chimney to puff the products of combustion back into the room. (solution, fit an anti downdraught cowl on your chimney pot)

2. Sweeping the chimney has dislodged a mid feather in the main chimney stack, blocking your chimney (the mid feathers seperate the main chimney stack into several, so each fireplace has a 'seperate flue path'

So you need to confirm what type of flue you have.

:) Many thanks for the reply.
About 80 yrs old. It's a stone chimney and there are no taller buildings alongside. It's been cleaned properly and yes it does have a Pot.
Thanks again cheers , Liamondo

Sponsored Links
Maybe the wind was in the wrong direction.seriously.....and a big old area of stone to warm up before she draws properly.... I would hire one of those "fireball" garage heaters ..run on calor.....and warm the chimney/dry it out with that, while standing by an open window (fumes) Then try with smokeless coal.then wood. Keep the window open while the fire`s alight while testing as described....Air has got to come into the room from somewhere to go up the chimney..got the same problem here @ home .have to leave the living room door open , or smokes us out :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back