Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a leaky chimney at the rear of terrace house. Had a few things done to stop leak but have been told the bricks seem to have one porous and should be replaced. The chimney is no longer in use, so my question is :-

What is involved in removing the chimney and sorting out the roof?

any advise gratefully received

Phill

Sponsored Links
First, find out if there are any planning issues regards the removal of the chimney.

Provided there are no major structural issues then building control may not need be involved.

Get a scaffold company to erect a chimney scaffold (if required).

Shove something up the flue, down in the room/s that it services to protect from falling debris.

Remove the chimney to below rafter level.

Make good the roof timbers and the roof covering material.

You may find that the tile courses and bond will be out of kilter so you may need to remove quite an area of roof tiles in order to re-sequence the bond.

If the chimney penetrates the roof at a point where structural timbers rest upon the chimney masonry be sure that you leave the remaining stack in place to support these members.

Rear of a TERRACE house? Be aware you may not be able to remove the chimney if it adjoins next doors chimney.

Thanks Noseall.
Info is great .. no planning required.

It's ok Steve neighbour is involved also. Whole chimney being removed to below tile level.

Planned on fitting vented tiles above chimney to airflow and stop condensation within stack.. is that ok?

regards
phill

Sponsored Links
Provided there are no major structural issues then building control may not need be involved.
As far as im concerned any chimney removal is a major change.. but noseall is right BC sometimes dont bat an eyelid to this kinda thing..

Hi guys
thanks for the info

Forgot to mention .. I am not dong the work, I am getting a builder to do it but I wanted to know what is involved so that there is no bull when they price it for me . I am fairly competant as building works go but never tackled a chimney before and have no knowledge of the regs that apply. I am sure that if there are requirements for planning then an experienced builder would advise me of such .. 3 quotes should do it yes?

regards

Phill

hi ronny
thanks for the info , but it seems to relate to the whole chimney stack. I am only having the chimney above roof level removed the rest is staying.. too much work to remove to ground level. it would mean practically rebuilding the back of the house :eek:

I will ring BC to ask about notification

thanks
Phill

Your posts were a little miss-leading.. just removing the stack is a fairly simple job and not a major structural issue.. a quick call to both BC and planning will confirm if any apps are needed.. which i doubt they will.

Sorry Static
But as a non builder the chimney to me is the bit that sticks out the top of my house.
:oops:
only removing to roof level

phill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back