Chimney, problems after lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

this is my first post and I am hoping that someone can help me! I will try and give as much background/information as I can.

I moved into a property with an open fireplace. however, after lighting a fire I discovered that there was a leak in my chimney and smoke was escaping into the upper storey of my property.

After weighing up the pros and cons of trying to find out where the extra hole was in my chimney (taking floors up, removing brick work etc) I opted to have it swept, lined (british standard 316 grade liner), and install a multifuel stove.

So, I now have a lined chimney, a multifuel stove, a warm house.

But (there always is one!) When I light the stove all is well for a couple of hours, then when I go upstairs, there is a steam like substance in the upstairs rooms.

It doesn't smell nasty, it doesn't smell like wood or coal smoke. From this I am very confident that the liner is sealed properly and is doing its job. I did think it might be the oily residue from the liners' production process burning off but it is odourless.

I suspect that as the chimney has not been used for 10+ years to my knowledge that it is perhaps damp, it is being heated by the liner becoming hot, and what I am seeing is water vapour coming through the existing hole in the chimney.

after all that, my question is, does anyone agree with me? or does anyone have any other ideas? how long can expect this to continue? Am I going to have to locate and fix the hole in the chimney anyway to resolve this? (I sooooo hope not!)

I live in a 2 up 2 down, so its not a vast chimney, I use the log burner for around 4 hours a day, its usually after 1 1/2 to 2 hours that I see the vapour (i.e when its all warmed up).

lots of information I know, but I am grateful for any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks for reading this

Sean

Sponsored Links
Is BS316 a grade 1 flue liner? I assume that the work is still under warranty? You should call back the people that installed the liner & ask them to advise or sort it out if there is a problem.

Did the installer fill the gap around the liner with a wet ashy material? I don't know what this stuff is called. It will take some time to dry out - perhaps this is the explanation? If there's no odour the moisture must be coming from somewhere else - how long has it been like this? Have you actually asked the installer about it?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

@Noseall & RichardC

The liner is a fully specced British standard 316 grade stainless steel.

@RigidRacer

I think you may be refering to vermiculite. This was not dropped into the chimney around the liner.

I dont really have any comeback on the work because I, erm, did it myself. I feel the the installation is fine as I say, its not leaking fumes from the inside of the flue. Also, the 'steam' is getting less the more I use the burner. I was just wondering what it was and trying to be logical in my thoughts (without scaring myself!)

I have contacted the liner manufacturer who advised that the oily residue that is left over from the manufacturing process will burn off in a few days.

I did try to consult my local log burning stove / liner supplier. but he wouldnt give me any help because I didnt buy anything from him (but thats a whole other story!).

many thanks again

Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back