Chimney Puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have a bit of an open fire question please.

Since we moved in some years ago our fire has remained un-used. We have decided to start using it and when I came to sweep it I looked up and saw that the opening has 3 sections... Im assuming the centre is the chimney and either side are voids in the brickwork.

Now..... Im guessing that there needs to be some sort of channel to guide the smoke away from the side voids into the centre and am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions how this could be done please.

Ive also just noticed that there doesn't appear to be a lintel across the opening so I shall be sorting that in the morning. Having lived here for years Ive never even thought to look up the thing.... but am wishing I didn't now..

Ive attached a picture as best I could get in the dodgy lighting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dougie

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
Why not get a HETAS Registered sweep to sweep the flue (in fact, to sweep all the flues whiles he/she is on site) & smoke tested.
The HETAS will draw your attention to any requirements, and give you a comment on the lack of a lintel.

The construction you pic is common enough in old houses - advising you from a distance I'd say to have the LH & RH openings blanked off but how & what with depends on proposed fire arrangements/appliance etc. HETAS on site would propose a solution.

All wood battens or wood inserts in the fire opening must be removed - thats a safety must.

Its best to have the chimney stack examined for fit for purpose, water tightness and appropriate flue terminals.

It's had the fireback and gather taken out, and looks like it had a closure plate put in to the battens. What you do depends on the type of appliance you had in mind. If you are having a wood burner installed they will probably line the flue.

further to what Stuart has said I would get that checked out before burning a fire in there. That's not how it was originally supposed to be, especially the bits of timber, which could be a hazard

Sponsored Links
Thankyou all!!!

It is a bit reassuring to hear that it's not something completely off the rails and never seen before.

I shall be contacting a HETAS sweep tomorrow.

I take it that this is a ground floor fireplace, and there are no old fireplaces lower down that would give rise to the side flues coming up past it. If you are going to put a wood burning stove in, then a stronger than usual closure plate will blank off the side flues, and the flue liner will then go up the centre. Having an open fire in there may cause problems with any cement etc you throw up there to block the side flues off though, but you could cut some paving slabs etc, and set them in at a 45 degree angle to guide the smoke up towards the centre. Post a picture of the front though, and let us see the brickwork that's obviously holding up on it's own.

Think I'd be going for a proper chimney gather rather than a couple of paving slabs Doggit:)

Not so easy to do retrospectively. With the garden paving slabs, you can notch out a bit of the wall, push it up the void, and then drop it back down into place, and then cement it into place. But as I suggested, the wood burning stove would be better.

It's quite a straightforward job, as a bricklayer I have done a few in my time. I don't think a couple of paving slabs will get through BC.

Years ago it was OK to put in the fireback and corbel in the brick gather and stick an Otty lintel in to form the throat, but nowadays they normally use an S/S gather connected up to an S/S liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back