Chimney removed and hearth screeded to floor level

Well, in front half at least, seems the hearth was concrete with large stones between the joists.
IMG_20180729_182232041.jpg

Sponsored Links
yep, my thoughts exactly. Sounds like the chimney was a beast too, I guess it got to home time Friday and they decided to screed over and run! I'll get through it, it might take some time, but it will go. The big stones make it easier, I just aim my sds at those a wiggle until it comes loose, then repeat. Slow, painful work.

Removed floorboard to about half way, and woodworm much less now. Hopefully this is enough. Plan is to remove all board on chimney side, then lift the rest, treat with Everbuild LJUN05 5 Litre Lumberjack Triple Action Wood Treatment, along will all joists (the one near wall needs replacing) and put in new board. Oh, and insulate first.

IMG_20180729_155938600.jpg

IMG_20180729_174607976.jpg

IMG_20180729_153258646.jpg

Sponsored Links
A 2kg hammer drill might take some time and you could weaken the fender wall.

A club/sledge hammer and bolster(or a demolition drill) would be quicker unless you want to preserve the existing fender wall. If so you will still need to remove and replace the wall plate to prevent damp rising from beneath it through to the (new) joists.

I would be tempted to take the whole lot out. This would involve new sleeper walls, also properly protected from damp below. You could then extend the insulation across the old hearth area.

Blup

my plan is to insulate everywhere, although I am thinking that my skills/tools combo might mean I only insulate with 25mm board over the hearth, which should be enough to stop condensation issues.

Is the fender wall the one that the first wall plate (is that what its called) sits on, are is this another wall?

If I fail to get rid of all that concrete but say, remove 50mm, what would be best:

1. Put in 25mm solid insulation under the floor, leaving a 25mm air flow gap
2. Fill with 50mm rockwool insulation

Is there a risk of rockwall getting damp? I am going to improve ventilation as much as possible - probably 1 or 2 new air bricks.

The fender wall is what surrounds the (constructional) hearth, sorry can't help on underfloor insulation.

Blup

Most out to bottom of joist level . One cleaned up i should be able to drop some new joists across, insulate and board.

Those darker red bricks bottom right, is that a sign that they carry more moisture? Could be the damp cause, as they are in contact with joists etc below damp course?

IMG_20180801_175532432.jpg

Seems to be loose hardcore below, i guess i should remove all this... ?

1533143656121349518147.jpg

yuove got to go down about 400mm below the floorboards.
no earth contact with any of the woodwork.
nock an snap out the bricks still left inside thehearth rubble.
whats on the other side of backwall?

You're getting there.

It's not uncommon for the dpc to be bridged because the outside ground level (the driveway in your case) is above the dpc within the brickwork of the house. In fact it should be about two bricks above the dpc as rain etc splashes back up onto the wall.

Not of direct concern regarding the hearth removal but worth checking.

OOI how old is the property?

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back