Chimney removed and hearth screeded to floor level

Sponsored Links
I've reached bedrock! Well, concrete.

Do I need to remove those blocks of bricks (I'll take out the ones a floor level)? Or can I just scrape out any dirt and mortar from between the bricks and joists?

Thinking I might as well stick another air brick there to help keep it all dry. Room has 2 this side and one to front already, with 3 on the wall in the room next to it.

IMG_20180802_185927391.jpg

IMG_20180802_185426566.jpg

Last edited:
ok, more bricks removed

knackered. hoping that is enough!

IMG_20180802_200728681.jpg

As I see it the damp could still rise through the sleeper wall - and the external wall as things stand - into the joist bearers and the joists themselves. So they would need to be removed, the joists temporarily propped first, and a new wall provided which is damp proofed where it is contact with the oversite. I used breeze blocks laid flat on mine with slate tiles to make up the height, all without mortar. Others may have a different approach.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I probably won't go that far. Seeing that some of the wood was buried in crap for about 80 years, it is not bad - some treatment should keep it well for another 80 years.
I have some damp course roll (or whatever its called) and will shove that in wherever I can.
The new joists could be sat on some plastic shims too ...

But, really need to get all this done asap. Plan is to cut insulation boards in so level with top of joists and cover with plenty of insulation tape, and screw floorboards down, so if i need to access again it will be easy to dismantle the floor (after removing furniture and carpets...)

I'd slip some DPC membrane between the joists and the sleeper walls. If the sleeper wall is a damp path the DPC willl keep it away from the joists and another air brick increasing the ventilation will help.

Update. It's a bit rough, but then I am a complete novice! Added the first battens to hold the 50mm insulation boards. Will then put insulation tape over all the edges.
Used about a can and a quarter of Everbuild Triple action wood treatment too.

IMG_20180815_222212275.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back