Chimney wall in loft has white furry fungi and beams wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help, im in an end terrace 1930s house, I have only one brick wall in the loft that is the chimney wall. The rafter and beams next to the wall are wet and there seems to be a white Fungal growth on the wall and where the beams meet the wall. The fungi or mould is like candy floss in texture and spreads fairly fast. Asking around some people are suggesting condensation while others are saying to re-point chimney and check for cracks in mortar on top of the chimney, also a good idea is to seal the mortar and brick with thompsons water seal as marlin bricks do not breath. Any ideas or people with same problem?

Sponsored Links
Pics would help here; the white stuff on the wall could be efflorescence (normal occurance on brickwork when persistently wet). The wet rafters could suggest water ingress. Could be the flashing needing fixing.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to tell from the pics whether that's efflorescence or dry rot; is there a damp, mushroomy smell in the attic? Can you see little branchy tendrils where the growth is spreading? It could be coming from next door.

If there is it's dry rot, which means you've got a serious problem that needs major remedial work fast. If it's just efflorescence you just need to stop the water ingress and dry it out. I would start by getting a roofer in to look at the chimney and the flauching around the pot.

I have never tried it but I would guess that efflorescence would be brittle and salty-tasting as it is just crystalline salts.

Thanks!, behind that wall is the chimney breast and speaking with some of the neighbour's they have had same problem. There are no branchy tendrils on the brickwork or beams. The beams are damp but solid, if it was efflorescence then the salt from the mortar surely dissipated by now and would leave a powdery white substance rather than fungal?. The best way to describe the white mould is like a giant spider web ball - quite strong and hard to hoover, it sticks and hold well to the brick. I don't fancy tasting it to see if salt content!. Im hoping its water ingress through the chimney stack or failed flashing. Ill get up there are get some more pics. out of interest.
Thanks once again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back