Chipboard floor broken up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so just inside my sons room upstairs about 1/2 mtr into the doorway, the chipboard floor has broken up.

The joist run down that room, so the floor has broken up between the 2 joints on a join.

It looks like something heavy has stood in that doorway and caused it to crack, though the mother-in-law prob weighs about 26stone, so maybe the cause.

Ive been up and ripped the carpet back and it looks a simple job, cut out the old area as close to the joists as i can without disturbing the next piece, and screw some 2"x2" to each side of the joist along the area, and then across the 2 joins, and screw the new board down.

As this is only 1 of 2 rooms upstairs that are chipboard, the rest are laminate.. I ask..

Would it be worthwhilst now putting some hard-board over the 2 rooms and get the carpet re-layed to prevent further failure.

We plan to rent the house in a few weeks, and ripping the floors up really isnt in the budget as they would be under the stud walls etc.

Any ideas.?

1) Replace the floors
2) Lay some laminate in those rooms
3) Lay some hard-board over the 2 areas

Regards,

FTB

Sponsored Links
assuming its 22mm go for 18mm ply and 3mm hardboard underneath and spread over 3 joists make shure you tie the edges together that arnt on a joist this will help the overall strength as it will spread the weight in the doorway further

I cut out the damaged area, it was on a join without any support.

So i looked under the floor and there was a joist across the floor just a bit further down, so that was how far i chopped it.

So i had a joist either side, then a joist at the end.

I then headed off to the local B&Q (i have a £285 gift card for free), picked up some wood, think it was 2"x3" (44mm x something) which i used some 100mm nails to secure it to the joist on either side, then across the bottom.

I then secured a piece under the join onto the other joists,

As i was getting the chipboard piece cut down at B&Q, i noticed an off-cut for 50p just over my size.

A bargain, and all in done for £7.10

I think i fell lucky for this one, as were going to hardboard the room out anyhow in the next few weeks prior to renting as the top surface of the chipboard is breaking up.

excellent you are being clever and sourcing wisley good luck :D

Sponsored Links
Aww thanks,

I still have the issue that the chipboard is breaking up, its about 20yrs old which isnt good.

First-time-buyer is becoming first-time-renter due to work sending me away.

So to save the chipboard for wear & tear we plan to use some 3mm hardboard on the landing & the room thats left.

The other 3 rooms have laminate upstairs which will protect it.

Im glad i have this B&Q gift card, there so expensive compared to the local dealers.

FTB\

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back