Chipboard floor dropped at top of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having new carpets put in to our house. There has always been a ridge at the top of the stairs, which I have never thought much about.

On taking the carpet up you can see that where the chipboard floor meets the top of the stairs it has dropped by about 10mm - you can see a gap under the skirting. By the time the floor reaches the end of the landing it is back at the right level (i.e. there is no gap between the skirting).

We've had someone around who says this is a fairly common problem when houses settle (1980s semi timber fram construction) and he can fix it with some packing.

The guy came recommended, so don't really doubt him, but I was just wondering if this is indeed a common problem and if that is the best way to fix it? I'm one of those people who likes to at least be able to pretend to know things about what the tradessman is doing ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes it is a common problem when the cheapest materials are used.

You should trust your tradesman's advice and let him get on with it, i'm sure he doesn't pretend to know everything about what you do for a living!!

If he does then come back lol.

Ha ha, sorry that probably did come out all wrong!

I trust what tradesmen are doing. I'm just one of those people who like to know how things work. When someone does come around I make them a cup of tea and then keep out of the way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back