Chipboard onto concrete...detailing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will needing to board out my garage floor in the not too distant future, and was wondering on the best way to do it.

Details:
The existing is 4" concrete onto hardcore without dpm or mesh.

The floor needs to be heavy as me and my mates will be playing music in there (drums, bass, guitar etc.) and will be part carpet, part amtico wood effect strip.
Insulation will be 50mm rockwool, and I intend to board the floor onto treated 2x2 or 4x2 laid flat. Needs to be rockwool underneath to dampen any vibes from the drums, for internal acoustics other than soundproofing. Kspan or jab is O.O.T.Q.

Obviously a dpm would go down first, probably a foam/foil/fibre type combi as used under laminate:

a) to protect the dpm from potential damage from the timber
b) to provide a very basic thermal break against the concrete.

Was gonna go with ply but would be very expensive as 2 layers would be needed to give the floor the necessary weight (remember it's about dampening resonance, not strength) and would need a good quality finish for glueing down the amtico.

I've recently discovered the 38mm weyrock mezzanine chipboard and as this can be had second hand fairly cheaply, would prefer this over the ply. There are no water pipes or appliances in the garage so water damage is not a likely issue.

The main question:
Is this all viable? ...and would there need to be additional dpm on top of the insulation, therefore 'locking in' the batten and rockwool in an airtight environment. As I'm typing this it's sounding more and more like a warm deck roof in reverse so should work?

Sponsored Links
There are no water pipes or appliances in the garage so water damage is not a likely issue.

What about all the spilled beer or vodka, not to mention drunk band members piddling in the corner - as for the groupees.... :p

What about all the spilled beer or vodka, not to mention drunk band members piddling in the corner - as for the groupees.... :p

Whatever makes you think I'd be interested in such things? we will strictly be playing nothing but gentile traditional Irish folk music. ;)

S1E2MO1.jpg

Trust you bignose, anyone got a sensible answer? Maybe I should stick it in building?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back