Chipboard Vs traditional floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any benefit in replacing traditional floor boards with chipboard sheet?

I cant see how chipboard can be better than traditional timbers but thought I would ask before I start to install architraves and skirtings.

Sponsored Links
The main reasons for installing sheet material sub-floors when working from the bare joists, as opposed to planked sub-floors, are to do with cost - the labour content of a sheet material sub-floor is lower (as they are faster to install) and the materials are cheaper, plywood moderately so, chipboard and OSB much more so. If your planked sub-floor is in good repair and relatively flat I see little advantage in ripping it out and replacing it - if it is in poor condition, has many cobbed-in repairs or is very uneven (and especially if you intend to install a laminate or LVT floor on top of it) then replacement could be a reasonable option. When installing sheet material sub-floors it is necessary to ensure that the sheets are tightly butted, that all joints are properly supported and glued with the correct glue and that the correct number and type of screws are used to fix them down. This ensures a creak-free floor in the future (despite what John D will doubtless now say about chipboard.... :rolleyes:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Its in good condition so i will just replace a few areas where the previous owners have added services over the years.

Carpet and timber floor going on top.

I have had a further thought. I need to deck out the loft space to a reasonable standard for regular storage use (same footprint as the upper floor). I need to lift all the floorboards upstairs room by room to install acoustic insulation. I was thinking would it be best to stick the floorboards up in the loft and then board out the bedrooms using sheet material so that it is all new and in perfect condition for use over the years to come.

The house is being fully rewired so in theory the upper floors should never need to be lifted.

Or floorboard both?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
100% go floorboards. Over time chipboard will tighten up and you can get squeaking on the joints. Also if can sag between the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back