Chipped brick repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In drilling a hole through to the outside wall, I've managed to break off a piece of the face of the brick - full height and about 6-7 cms across. It's a very clean break, but the piece is fairly fragile (about 10-12 mm thick at most).

I want to cement it back in place, but anything sand/cement based is going to be thick enough to make the piece stand proud. Is there anything else I can use to bond it? Obviously there's little strength required but it has to be a good, weatherproof bond.

Sponsored Links
You could try PVA Unibond - as long as you keep the weather off it until its dried.

Thanks ... I'll try anythin' that sounds reasonable !!

But yeah, as you say, anything like that really needs to be kept out of the weather 'til it's dry ... but it's a small area so that shouldn't be too much of a prob.

pva will be unlikely to work once the rain gets to it. youd be better to face up the brick using a bit of mortar coloured with brick dye. if you play with the mix a bit it wont get noticed.

Sponsored Links
Brick dye - where can I get that from - builders merchant?

I was looking on me UniBond"No More Nails" cartridge. Reckons it will work on brick - just not "permanently damp or wet areas" - and to me 10 feet up on a south facing wall qualifies. Any thoughts?

you can get brick dye from any builders merchamts in a variety of colours. An alternative if you have any of the same bricks laying around is to hack out half the brick from the front inwards (so the wholf face is removed) cut the new brick in two and bed it onto the existing one with mortar

sorry brain death not brick dye its cement dye!

I knocked the corner off one of the uprights on my sectional concrete garage. I refixed it using Unibond. That was fifteen years ago!

Well, I erm er use wood glue :oops: for the same problem, well it not fallen down yet in the last 2 years :LOL:

Sister in law clipped her fathers front garden wall (about 20 years ago). I was patching her car up and found I had some Epoxy Resin left over. I used this to patch up the damage that she had done to the wall. Glued the top half of a 2 brick peir back on (and several of the pieces of brick face, that had been knocked off).

This repair was still good when we finally took the wall down, deliberately (about 6 years ago), to make way for a wider drive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back