Chipper/shredder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a chipper or shredder recommendation for a budget of about £1000. It needs to deal with lots of leylandii, and I don't want something that clogs up all the time, also I need to be able to store it in the garage, so I'm looking for more of an upright machine, or one that can be stored that way, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Eliet may be out of your price range but are excellent machines and worth a look used. They work differently to other makes by splitting harder materials along the grain which requires less power.
Ive had the smaller one for over 10 years which has been great, anything too thick to go through it goes on the woodburners.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You haven't said what size it needs to eat.

You haven't said what size it needs to eat.
I'd say about 5cm max. From chippers I've used in the past I don't think these specs are always accurate. I've used a few in the past and some of them may get through their stated diameter, but with the revs turned up to max, feeding in very carefully etc... My main concern is clogging due to the high amount of green material in leylandii, not so much about the specific diameter.

I’d say a minimum of 6 hp petrol engine should give you a cutting diameter of around 50mm.
The American forest master looks ok, but replacement blade availability is a must.
Stihl are doing one that could be worth a look.....long warranty!
John

Eliet may be out of your price range but are excellent machines and worth a look used. They work differently to other makes by splitting harder materials along the grain which requires less power.
Ive had the smaller one for over 10 years which has been great, anything too thick to go through it goes on the woodburners.
You mean this one?
I'd stretch to that if it's rock solid.

I’d say a minimum of 6 hp petrol engine should give you a cutting diameter of around 50mm.
The American forest master looks ok, but replacement blade availability is a must.
Stihl are doing one that could be worth a look.....long warranty!
John
If you're talking about the UK Forest Master they are cheap but I'm not buying from them again, some people get on with them but I was less than impressed. I'm not sure what you mean by "American forest master", do you have a link? Stihl are rather plastic-looking affairs that look like they're not up to much, but without trying one out it's hard to tell. Warranties are good, agreed. But even their £1000 model says woody hedge trimmings, and that to me says it won't deal well with leylandii, however they expel downwards meaning in theory less likely to jam up, gravity doing it's thing.

The issue with chipping Leylandii is as the branch is taken in its dragged in by the friction of cutting harder stems. When these have been chewed off there's a large volume of softer material stems that are too easily cut off before its dragged further in so the process stops .
The way around this is the get used the size that doesn't block it and trim accordingly....If you don't want to trim the only option is a machine with a wide input funnel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back