Chipping channel out of tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope I'm posting this in the right section...

In my new flat there's a very newly fitted kitchen (18 months old) and we want to extend a part of the worktop, as there's a whole half-wall that could be used for worktop but is currently "dead" space (the previous owners had a table there). The current bit of worktop has a set of cupboards under it. So the idea is to take off the old bit (about 70cm), then put a long piece back on (about 1.85m) - using the cupboard to support it one end and poles to support it the other end. The builder reackoned that would work, but we'd have to support it underneath as well.

Anyhoo, the problem is, the current piece of worktop has been set into the tiles - i.e in a channel. Obviously this was probably done after the kitchen was installed. So, my question is, will it be possible for the builder to "dig" a channel out of the rest of the tiles in order to recess the new piece of worktop in? The tiles are just plain white ones, so I guess could be easily replaced if any are chipped. Oh, and if it's relevent, the new tiles have been laid ontop of older tiles I think. Basically, I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those small jobs that grows into a large one, or if it should be quite straightforward.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Once again the trusty diamond blade in an angle grinder comes to the rescue. ;)
I'd firmly stick a piece of batten (make sure it's straight) to the tiles with gaffer tape, then cut along the batten with the angle grinder to maintain a straight line. Do this for each side of the "channel" then carefully chisel out the bits of tile you don't want.

So it shouldn't be too much of an issue for my builder to do then? I haven't asked him about it yet, but I have to explain in French exactly what i want, so wanted to make sure it was possible first!

Sponsored Links
amyboo said:
So it shouldn't be too much of an issue for my builder to do then?
Not at all.

Diyisfun said:
It will be a time consuming, dusty, messy job.
It wouldn't take long at all - we're only talking about 1 metre here. The cuts would take about 2 minutes each with a decent blade. It'll take longer to tape the batten to the wall! Total job done in about 20 mins if he's got the right tools.
It will be dusty though. ;)

Couldn't you just skim off the back of the worktop with a router?
Do it outside (if it ever stops raining) and then no dust and mess :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back