chipping off old render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started chipping off the render on the front of my house. It's in really bad nick and I'm getting penetrating damp in patches.
The tyrolean just pulls off, the coat underneath is dusty, the base coat falls off in parts ( with a little help from a breaker drill with a flat chisel). Patches of the basecoat however are really well bonded and I damage the brick if I breaker it off, its also really slow going.
I'm hoping to strip it all off and let the wall dry out before re-rendering.

Do I need to get all the old base coat off?

If so are there any tools I could hire to do it easily?

Years ago I used to work for a tool company and came across scabblers and needle scalers, would these be any good for this job?

Sponsored Links
Just so you’re aware; renovating a thermal element (replacing external render) is subject to Building Regulations - Part L - conservation of fuel, power & energy. If you replace more than 24% then you may be required to upgrade the thermal efficiency of the wall to current standards. Getting caught out may give you problems with your LABC (it’s very visible work) & you may also be asked for a compliance certificate when you come to sell up. ;)

Thanks Richard, Now I've got something else to look in to. I had considered insulating but the cost for me, at the moment is too much. I'll be happy if I can can keep the inside dry. I'll be under the under the 24% as its only the front and I've got the gable end and back that I'm leaving as well.
If they started giving grants I'd go for it.

If I did have insulated and render, would the old stuff still have to come off?

If they started giving grants I'd go for it.
I’ve been holding off an insulation upgrade for 2 years now hoping the grants will get better. My neighbor got his done for free around 4 years ago because he was over 60 but sadly that offer is not longer available; from what I can see, the grants available now are less favorable than they were a few years ago but I suppose it depends on you local council policy & how much spare cash they have.

If I did have insulated and render, would the old stuff still have to come off?
The 24% rule also applies to removing internal plaster; it’s the thermal efficiency of the wall that’s critical so upgrading can be done either on the inside or outside. Not familiar with external insulation so am unsure if you would need to remove all the old stuff but I would say yes. I do internal plaster & render base coats but am no expert on external rendering but if just re-rendering over the existing walls, you need a flat, sound base so I would say take it off if you don’t want to see any joins.

Sponsored Links
If the exist render is pretty sound(not falling off in big sheets) then you could fix an insulated render system over the top google Parex or Primo for more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back