Choosing Paint for Doors/Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am replacing my internal doors next week, I have sanded down & undercoated the door frames with dulux white undercoat already.

I will need to topcoat the frames & also the pre-primed doors when they have been hung.

There are so many types of topcoat to choose from, eggshell, gloss, quick drying gloss, satinwood etc and I am not sure which to choose!

Can anyone recommend a good topcoat to use?

Thanks and Kindest Regards

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the look and use of the house.

If you go with water based paints they dry quick and do not stink the house out.
Water based paint is a pain to get a good finish due to it drying to quickly.
Water based paint is very soft and does not stand the test of time with small knocks.
Water based stays white

Oil based paint stinks the house out for a few day after application and is easier to get a better finish than water based oil based is also very strong and durable and will take knocks better.
Oil based does yellow over time.

Satinwood is a nice matt finish as is very popular for the last few years.
I would go with oil based satinwood (Dulux Trade).

Sponsored Links
all the woodwork in my house is sandstone eggshell, and it looks really nice. I prefer that to the usual white gloss everyone seems to have, Plus with eggshell/satin you dont need to undercoat as it acts as its own undercoat.

if your doors are brand new give them a couple coats of acrylic primer to seal the new wood and a couple of coats of eggshell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back