Choosing the Right Lawn Mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Advice much appreciated.

I have flat 2 acre field that I need to mow as quickly as possible and it needs to look like a lawn not a farm.

Any advice on Triple gang mowers vs rotary lawn tractors that mulch or collect?

In particular, I am concerned about running costs and repairs for the 3 gang fairway type mowers, and if not collecting with these machines still looks ok?

The rotary mower would be ok, but I think collectors may need emptying constantly.

Budget is about £2500, so used is most likely bet.

Thank you in anticipation of your wise advice :)

Sponsored Links
Triple gang mowers will give you the best cropped finish, but the ground will need to be flat (school field type) for the machine to work well.
Have a look around for a Husqvarna rider.....2 or 4 wheel drive, rear steer, triple rotary blade. This will work if things get a little long, where the ganged blades may clog.
Superbly made, dont rust and with Kawasaki / Honda / Briggs engines.
John :)

A gang mower would be much faster and a good finish if done regularly, probably every 2 weeks minimum.

But as said it needs to be flat and not too long.

If the time is not an issue and its not used elsewhere then a ride on will probably be more versatile.

It'll be a pain to collect from 2 acres so you'd need to mulch anyway, and don't worry about mulching because with a proper mulching mower it cuts the grass so fine you dont see it. Its not like a rough cut council verge.

you might consider hiring a contractor, especially if it's a one-off or done infrequently.

Someone who whizzes round playing fields could add you to his schedule.

Sponsored Links
Go to your local Husqvarna dealer and ask for a demo of a automower!
Probably get a suitable sized one for around your budget, and all it costs to run is a few pence per charge :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back