Choosing the right pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally decided upon my hot water system. Having discussed it with Building Control I now know that I can't have an unvented system without too much upheaval, so I've decided to go for a vented set up. To save space I'm having a mains-fed Triton remote Aspirante shower (fitted with my own shower head), and a small (900x400) combination cylinder to supply the kitchen sink and bathroom basin (there's no bath).

What I hope will be my final question on this matter is: what size pump should I get to improve the pressure of the hot taps in the bathroom and kitchen? Presumably a single impeller would do the job, but what size would you recommend?

Last time I measured it I had about 3 bar mains pressure (at 10am) and a 25 litres per minute flow rate, but my local plumbers merchant said that was unheard of in my area as most people get about 1 bar.

With this in mind I also wondered if it might be worth getting a pump that feeds the electric shower too, in case it's performance is not as expected.

Thanks again chaps.

Sponsored Links
Normally something like 1.2 to 1.4 bar would do the shower, and you won't be running a bath at the same time so you don't particularly need extra beef in reserve.

However, bear in mind that pumping taps/valves other than just the shower valve will involve the pump being on for longer, therefore, IMO, you need one that is capable of continuous running, which of course is more expensive.

Personally I would go for a mid-range Stuart Turner, e.g. the "Monsoon 2.0 bar single".

i wouldn`t bother with a pump to be honest .
fit a high efficiency cylinder and raise the tank in the roof space as high as possible. feed from the tank to the cylinder in 28 mm pipework this set up will blow the shower off the wall . :)
i dont like pumps just something else to go wrong m8. :)

Sponsored Links
So what pressure are you expecting to get, 2Face?

Personally I would be surprised what you could achieve out of a few feet and some 28mm pipe. Blowing the shower off the wall does not tally with my workings for an average loft.

Would you care to share your calculations with us?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back