need help on choosing right shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help so confused , i live in a detached house bout 14 years old
the hotwater upstairs is gravity fed and cold water is mains,( i have a hot water storage tank on the landing) the hot water pressure in the upstairs bathrooms isnt great and iam fitting a mixer shower in the ensuite so iam after a pump that will boost the hotwater for the shower mixer and also the hotwater taps in the main bathroom , i have rang stuart turner who recommended there monsoon universal 3.0 bar pump and salamander said i need there esp80cpv 2.4 bar, which do i choose, would these be to powerfull and would it drain my hotwater tank too fast, there are only 3 of us in the house and odds are we wouldnt be using both bathrooms at the same time, iam so confused which pump would you guys recommend.

Sponsored Links
Stuart & Turner all day long.

Andy

Ditto.

Fitted a monsoon 2 bar last week.Excellent bit of kit, all brass body on the ends.

You would need a dedicated feed from the cold water system to the cold feed of the pump, to get a balanced shower.Also feed for cold needs to be lower thatn the hot at the cold water system, to eliminate the risk of scalding....hot water will run out first.
In reference to the hot water emptying too quickly, you need to check the size of your current CWSC.

Graham

i only want my hot water pumping, my cold water to all outlets upstairs is mains pressure

Sponsored Links
You need to either get a pump that closely matches your mains pressure, or otherwise fit a pressure reducing valve to the mains to ensure they're reasonably balanced (this can be on the feed to the shower only if desired). If your mains pressure is low you may wish to pump both hot and cold from the loft tank.

It sounds like you want to boost most, or all, of your hot water system. Do you have good access to the pipework in the bathroom you want to boost to be able to run it separately back to the pump location as well as access to the mixer supplies in the en suite? Or is the bathroom hot already teed off inside the airing cupboard? If not then your only option may be to boost the entire hot water system to all outlets if you want to do more than just the shower.

Whether it will drain your cylinder / cold tank too quickly or not depends on their size and how long you expect to spend in the shower.

As for which one to go for, of the two you've listed the ESP80CPV knocks the socks off the Monsoon Universal 3.0 in terms of performance (if you believe the manufacturers' figures, and there's not a lot else to go on). Why? The pressure ratings given are theoretical at zero flow, at a reasonable flow rate of 15 litres per minute, the ESP80 is maintaining 2.15 bar whilst the Monsoon's performance has comparatively fallen off a cliff and only maintains 1.4 bar.

If you go for just boosting the shower the Monsoon will be fine, as it'll only be running at a relatively low flow rate (around 10l/min max) with only the one outlet to do. If you want to do more (IE the whole house) then I'd say you have a choice of either the ESP80CPV, the ESP120CPV if you want more oomph, or a Monsoon Extra Universal 3.0 bar or 3.5 bar (the Extras have vastly improved performance over the 'normal' Monsoons and are better than the ESPs at higher flow rates such as you may need in a whole house situation).

You need to get a single impeller pump then.
You will still probably end up with an unbalanced shower.

Graham

the pumps i have mentioned seem to do both positive and negetive, can i save myself a few quid and just get a positive pump

You can do if you've got space in your airing cupboard for it, check the manufacturers' instructions before you purchase though, some require a greater positive head than others. You're looking for a Salamander Right pump or a Monsoon (Extra) Standard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back