Choosing top coat type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for opening another thread regards to new plaster. I have searched and got varied responses.

We have got all the upstairs bedrooms to paint, all new plaster dried out.

The plan is to use 50/50 matt emulsion. Non vinyl. Thats what most people reccomend after searching. I bought some valspar trade matt but i have looked on the instructions and it says not to thin it. Is this just so you buy their other product for mist coating? I cant see anything about vinyl on it.

Now the other question is i dont really know what to use for my 2nd and final coat, other than i want it white with a bit of a silk finish. But not too much. So not sure on brands and such.

Looking at something like a silk or a dulux soft sheen. Would this be ok to shoot straight on top of the mist?

Prefer something i can grab from bnq or screwfix on way home tomorro, if not no big deal.

Roller type i plan to use is a short pile. Hopefully this will give a nice flat finish.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don’t see why not unless you undercoat with cheaper emulsion

Blup

Still cant find anything about watering down this valspar contract matt for the mist.. It definitly says not to on the back, i think i still have the reciept so unsure if to take it back or not.

Sponsored Links
Reporting back.

Took the valspar stuff back, bought leyland trade white matt instead. That actually actually states you can water it down.

Did a 50/50 mix and went on great. Needed two coats on the ceiling as that is the finish we wanted then went with a dulux easycare colour. Nice paint. Went on well.

Happy!

The plan is to use 50/50 matt emulsion. Non vinyl.

The low vinyl matt emulsions are only really needed if the plaster is still slightly wet.

If you apply silk over them, you run the risk of the silk paint cracking. Low vinyl matt emulsions do little to reduce the level of suction. Buy a decent vinyl matt emulsion and thin it as per the instructions.

I haven't used Valspar but by all accounts it is cheap crap.

Depends which Valspar you buy. Their 'paint n prime' is excellent and has one of the highest acrylic contents around, mind at about £60 for 5 litres it should be good.

Depends which Valspar you buy. Their 'paint n prime' is excellent and has one of the highest acrylic contents around, mind at about £60 for 5 litres it should be good.

Good point. I had never heard of it. Kinda guessing that the likes of B&Q don't stock that though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back