Chopping up a UPVC door-frame - will it survive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I am hoping to move my external kitchen double-door to a different wall. I've measured the height of the door and the height of the new wall... It's VERY close to the height of the alternate room!
As the doors have a window above each one, could the top be sliced off (by the builder), removing the windows, or would it break various air-tight seals or whatever in the frame? I realise they would have originally been measured, then built to fit that space... but I quite like the doors, that's all, and I'd rather not chuck 'em, if they can be moved to a new location.

Thanks,

Neil

20210512_091947.jpg

Sponsored Links
Worth a try, but budget for complete replacement if it's a disaster.

If you can find original supplier then maybe they can make you a new frame?

In theory its possible since the top windows are fixed, the hard bit will be getting a clean cut through the pvc.
Easiest will be to take the glass out of the top then just cut the verticals in line with the top of the top rail. Hide the mess when fitted with 20mm bead siliconed or glued on.

Worth a try, but budget for complete replacement if it's a disaster.

If you can find original supplier then maybe they can make you a new frame?

Thank you. After you said '...budget for...' I looked at some prices. I'm quite surprised how (relatively) cheap they are. I don't feel so bad, if I have to scrap them, now. Still a shame, though, if that has to be the case.

Sponsored Links
In theory its possible since the top windows are fixed, the hard bit will be getting a clean cut through the pvc.
Easiest will be to take the glass out of the top then just cut the verticals in line with the top of the top rail. Hide the mess when fitted with 20mm bead siliconed or glued on.

Thanks. I'll ask the builder when I get some time to book a quote for the job. I don't understand why the previous owners added it. I can count on one hand, the number of times I've opened it, in the 7 years I've lived at the address. It's just taking up kitchen space because I can't put anything in-front of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back