uPVC window sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having dramas with a builder who was supposed to have a window to patio door cut and 4 upstairs upvc windows fitted before I got back from being away with work well over a month ago.
Still waiting on him so looking at fitting the windows myself and finding a new builder for the cut...

However I've measured the windows and the hole as he hasn't adjusted the order measurements by a cm for fitting. It looks like he's measured the opening and given me those numbers.

So if I fit them all I need is a sharp edge or the brick not straight and I'm not getting the windows in..

Is there a solution to this, like can brick be sanded without chipping it and looking crap...? Or dremel the grooves on the side of the upvc frame but then is this gonna cause issues?

Or do I just have a house full of windows that are no good?

Sponsored Links
You can cut the ribs off the frame, gains about 8mm each side. You could grind a bit of brick away back from the visible face if you can get the frame in, you can doctor the cill if there's a height issue.. Make sure you end up with at least 5mm expansion gap all round.

You don't' make it clear if you actually have the frames.

If you do, have you tried them for fit?

Yep got the frames.

No not tried. Just started looking at measurements as I think I'll end up doing the windows myself at this point but the measurements he gave are for the opening and not adjusted it seems and bigger than the current frames in.

Sponsored Links
If it's really tight you can normally cut the outer edge of the frame a little

upload_2021-12-22_10-59-46.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back