christmas lights

• Thread starter stephen2682
  • Start date
S

stephen2682

i want to install lights outside, yesterday i bought a junction box and thermal blocks as the electrician said to use these, but having looked at some of the wires they are to thick to join up

so i was thinking could i remove the outside porch light and put a electric box in it's place with a 4gang extension in there with all the plugs, then i could just flick the light switch indoors to turn them on???

Sponsored Links
so i was thinking could i remove the outside porch light and put a electric box in it's place with a 4gang extension in there with all the plugs, then i could just flick the light switch indoors to turn them on???

NO

Sponsored Links
with some of the lights only been 2amp, can i join them together using thermal blocks inside a waterproof junction box, then another wire into the house to get plugged in?

i'd only want to do it for a matching snowman and santa on like hanging basket brackets, there's only 2.

What are thermal blocks?

And...
yesterday i bought a junction box and thermal blocks as the electrician said to use these, but having looked at some of the wires they are to thick to join up
with some of the lights only been 2amp, can i join them together using thermal blocks inside a waterproof junction box

Also, you so should not be messing around with outdoor electrics when you don't know what you are doing.

They may only be a few hundred watts of lighting, but 230V is 230V, and will kill, particularly in the wet.

lol terminal blocks,

i'm pretty competent with electrics and know the safety regs, just never done christmas lights outdoors before, i don't need a lecture.

lol terminal blocks,

i'm pretty competent with electrics and know the safety regs, just never done christmas lights outdoors before.

that really doesn't make sense, if u think about it.......

what about NOT hanging tat on the outside of your property? Do everyone on your street a favour.

yes the consumer unit is RCD protected, i have a extension with RCD protection as well.

i'm pretty competent with electrics and know the safety regs, ... i don't need a lecture.

Hmmm.
I'd say the response to that sentence is:
'No you're not, no you don't and yes you do', in that order.

i'm finding it funny that people are replying to this thread hours after, still with the same offbeat comments, i asked for advice not to be slagged off, maybe i should start asking your credentials with things you aren't particular aware of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back