Christmas Lights

I assume you realise that it is polarity reversal and not chopped dc and the LEDs are wired as 2 sets in opposing polarity.
I also presume that he realises that, since he wrote ...
...... I think if I were labbeling it, I'd probably feel compelled at least to dscribe it as "inverting DC" even if I didn't meantion sqaure wave
Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes I did read and write that, and as always happens it was taken out of context as I continued with
and the LEDs are wired as 2 sets in opposing polarity.
To explain the operation of the system

it was taken out of context as I continued with
I assume you realise that it is polarity reversal and not chopped dc and the LEDs are wired as 2 sets in opposing polarity.
To explain the operation of the system
You did ... but I'm a little confused if you are suggesting (maybe not?) that my comment was 'out of context', since that "aas I continued with" bit was part of what I quoted in my message :)

As you say, the fact that there would be two sets of LEDs wired in opposing polarity is the reason why the polarity of the supply keeps reversing, but I don't see that as altering the fact that, as he said, the supply could be described as "inverting DC" (which, of course, in some senses is true of any sort of 'AC'), does it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You did ... but I'm a little confused if you are suggesting (maybe not?) that my comment was 'out of context', since that "aas I continued with" bit was part of what I quoted in my message :)

As you say, the fact that there would be two sets of LEDs wired in opposing polarity is the reason why the polarity of the supply keeps reversing, but I don't see that as altering the fact that, as he said, the supply could be described as "inverting DC" (which, of course, in some senses is true of any sort of 'AC'), does it?

Kind Regards, John
All I was doing was trying to explain, or possibly confirm, how the system works, in addition to that; describe to other who may be interested how the system works.

Is 50Hz fast enough to avoid noticable flicker on the half wave rectified LEDS? (Edit: and will the LEDs handle the peak (and revserse peak) of the 4.5ac)) I looked at one of those sets with a scope one and it was outputting a square wave at much faster than 50hz (close to 400hz - i think - although I was using a scope older than me and struggling a little bit with it).
I think it must be all about persistence. Until today I'd have said not a problem.

I've been setting lights for several Christmassy events in local church hall, 8x 50m sets of fairy lights, the bronze colour are showing a flicker, cool white seem fine.

EDIT: ... now I'm doubting which way round it is but one colour flickers, t'other seems OK.

Last edited:
I think it must be all about persistence. Until today I'd have said not a problem.

I've been setting lights for several Christmassy events in local church hall, 8x 50m sets of fairy lights, the bronze colour are showing a flicker, cool white seem fine.

EDIT: ... now I'm doubting which way round it is but one colour flickers, t'other seems OK.
Well the event on Friday there wasn't any noticeable issue with flicker simply running such lights on a 32V mains transformer. On Sunday it was very noticeable and quite irritating. I had a tone generator in the toolkit and set to 800HZ fed it into a PA amplifier, tested with another set of lights (still in the box) to the 100V output and adjusted the volume until just lit and DMM showed ~32V. Transferred 400metres of LED fairy lights from transformer to amplifier... sorted.

I wondered about playing the Christmas music... Na na na scrub that :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back