Christmas Project - New Van!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, hope you all had a nice break, just thought I'd post some pictures of a little Christmas project I undertook....

Got my new van a few days before Christmas Day and spent the twilight period between Boxing Day and New Years out in the cold and rain and dark installing lighting and shelving....

Massive thanks to John (burnerman) and everyone else that helped me get my head around the wiring for the lights.

Couldn't come soon enough, as you can see from this picture taken in December of my old van.

This was really depressing to work with. I work far away from our company's warehouse, so my van slowly became a mobile skip for leftover materials. It was probably overweight too, an issue a colleague of mine learnt the hard way in December when his Transit got pulled in Swindon for being overweight by 1 bag of cement and 2 bags of sand. That ended up costing him over £1k!

Anyway I digress.

I started with 3 x LED strip lights on the roof (spurred and switched off the internal lights in the load space)

Then I installed a LED Spot Light for working at the rear in the dark (something that was handy straight away funnily enough!)

The mounting bracket allows the light to swivel left and right as well as tilting back and forth. Can you spot the UFO in this picture.

Then I installed some amber LED lights on the rear bumper.

Note how bright the lights are! (and the blatant waste of electricity as I try and keep warm with the fan heater).

I called it a day there. Then next day I installed the front LEDs and ran all the cabling to the control box / battery.

I also installed a 500w invertor in the cabin.

Next I started on the offside racking

I put in 4 x 4" pipes for storing 3m lengths of copper/ABS/flooring strips etc. and a workbench at the far end.

Another late night working in the cold but well lit street!

And this is what I ended up with

I found some left over chequer plate in the garage that just so happened to fit in the walkway. Makes it look like I planned it all along!

I randomly picked up these metal drawers from B and Q, really handy for keeping sundries like blades / discs etc in. Don't worry I'm not relying on that red bungee to stop them tipping! I bolted the units through the bulkhead.

You can just make out to the right of the ladders, I also installed a fairly big cubby hole (about 300mm out from the ply lining) for storing sheet offcuts (18/12/6, plasterboard and a bit of white rock).

It's not finished yet, I had to throw a lot of stuff in at random at the last minute as I got called back up to work, but I'm hoping now everything has a set place, there's no excuses !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Superb work, mate and best of luck with the new chariot :p
Studying all the stuff in there, we wonder which trades you don't do!
John :D

Back