Interior working lights for van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Advice please,
Its that time of year again, dark by the time we finish work, so I want to add to the two manufacturer fitted 12V interior lights in the back of a long wheelbase Renault Master van.
I would like an even bright light so I am thinking about fitting LED strips down full length of each side of the van .
I would like to wire them directly to the existing interior lights so that they illuminate upon door opening so I don't have to switch them separately.

My concerns are,

If I simply add LEDs will the loading on the existing fuse be too much, or should I wire them in separately.
Will strip LEDs be a good working light, or should I fit three or four 12V fluorescents?
What have others done, any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
LED's will be fine and within wire and fuse ratings, but the only fly that may be in the ointment could be that the interior lamps are on a timer, so only stay on for a short while.
If thats the case, you'll need to take a 12v tapping from a suitable outlet (fag lighter maybe) with an in line fuse.
John :)

LED's will be fine and within wire and fuse ratings, but the only fly that may be in the ointment could be that the interior lamps are on a timer, so only stay on for a short while.
If thats the case, you'll need to take a 12v tapping from a suitable outlet (fag lighter maybe) with an in line fuse.

Thanks John. It's a good point you raise, yes my lights are on a timer but I think they must also have a permanent live as well, as they have 3 way operation, off/ on timed/ and permanent on.
I like that as I don't have to worry about switching off when just grabbing a tool, but also can have permanent on when loading/unloading.
So if my theory that the existing wiring must have 2 lives, one on timer and one on permanent live is correct, if I do away with one of my two existing lights and use that wiring, can I wire in a new three way toggle switch to give me the same, off/on timed/permanent on, for the new lights?

Just to keep things simple, I think I'd keep the existing lights on the timer for short 'grab a tool' use, and then tap from the permanent live before the switch and continue that to the new lighting.....which of course would have its own switch within convenient reach.

Sponsored Links
Just to keep things simple, I think I'd keep the existing lights on the timer for short 'grab a tool' use, and then tap from the permanent live before the switch and continue that to the new lighting.....which of course would have its own switch within convenient reach.

Yeah will do, thanks.

I bought a pair of 30cm stickyback LED flexi-strips with white 5050 LEDs from a Chinese seller on EBay for a couple of quid and put them in the boot of my car.
The light output is amazing and I'm very pleased indeed :)
Only fly in the ointment is the sticky isn't very sticky (it claims to be 3M tape, but y'know - China..) and stuck to the shiny plastic in the boot they kept falling off. A dab of white spirit later and some double sided carpet tape and they seem to be holding on.

Back