Chronic condensation - never seen it like this before

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old 19th century (at latest) house with cheap, poorly installed double glazing but even so, I've never seen a property suffer from so much condensation. It literally covers the windows in every room and kitchen and then drips down into puddles on the window sill.

Ventilating the place doesn't seem to work much and is impossible overnight but so is not heating the place during the day.

Replacement is not possible as it is a rental but I'm open to any ideas to reduce the problem. Half a kitchen roll each morning is hardly the answer !

Sponsored Links
You need to look at the cause of the condensation and adequate ventilation.

The waters coming from somewhere, condensation doesn't just come out if thin air.

If there's a lot, then you might have a leak.

Sponsored Links
Ventilation is 24/7 , why is overnight a problem?

Sorry, I meant that you could not open windows overnight. Neither can you open windows when you have the heating on.

Apart from that, where do you get ventilation from ?

The waters coming from somewhere, condensation doesn't just come out if thin air.

But that is it, condensation does just come out of thin air. The warm air within the building meets the cold panes of glass and condenses into water.

I appreciate the air needs to absorb the water in the first place but that is where I have a problem in my understanding this situation.

You need to look at the cause of the condensation and adequate ventilation.

Exactly, but apart from identifying poor double glazing and a warmed interior I am struggling to suggest a solution.

I appreciate the bathroom is a problem but there is no contagion to any of the other rooms on the same floor, nevermind on other floors.

But that is it, condensation does just come out of thin air. The warm air within the building meets the cold panes of glass and condenses into water.

I appreciate the air needs to absorb the water in the first place but that is where I have a problem in my understanding this situation.

In simple terms you are creating too much moist/humid air for your ventilation system to cope with, just to start with, 2 adults breathe out 1.5 pints of water a night, never mind the cooking, the bath/shower water etc etc.

Better more efficient dg units, with warm edge spacer bars, argon filled and planitherm glass may help, this should keep the inner pane warmer and help to stop that cold surface problem but then you might shift the problem to the next colder surface, that might be the window frame itself or an adjacent wall, although walls tend to suffer anyway, especially behind beds, wardrobes and book cases.

Ventilation of the humid air is the way to go, whether with trickle vents in windows or air bricks, you need to be swapping old humid air for fresh.

You say you can't ventilate at night or when the heating is on......WHY!

...Ventilation of the humid air is the way to go, whether with trickle vents in windows or air bricks, you need to be swapping old humid air for fresh.

You say you can't ventilate at night or when the heating is on......WHY!

Seriously old house made of stone with no air brick ventilation - I see that as an issue - thanks

Current ventilation is primarily via opening the windows. This is what I meant when I said it could not be done when the heating was on or at night.

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house or on radiators?

How long is the extractor fan run after each bath and shower?

Have you looked under the floor yet for water or damp?

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house or on radiators?

How long is the extractor fan run after each bath and shower?

Have you looked under the floor yet for water or damp?

Towels on radiator in bathroom certainly and some washing hung when partially wet (well spun), though only when possible with open windows.

I do need to look at the bathroom moisture extraction I admit. Running a fan longer would seem to be a starting point.

There was a burst pipe around a year ago which did flood through a bit but we had dehumidifiers in for months. However, the issue of condensation was the same before this so whilst it cannot have improved things, it isn't the cause either. No other water leaks as I've checked through all plumbing and had carpets up to assess the electrics.

Wet washing? you might as well throw buckets of water at the walls.

A extractor fan typically uses 20W so will run for 24 hours continuously for 7p worth of electricity. Run it until the bathroom is dry and window is no longer misty.

if you are unable to use a washing line or tumble drier, then put your wet washing on an airer or roll-away line over the bath, and leave the bathroom extractor running and the door and window SHUT to prevent the moisture diffusing throughout the house.

Look at the airbricks that ventilate the void under the floor, clean out the dirt, rubble and cobwebs so there is a discernable airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back