Chronic condensation - never seen it like this before

Wet washing? you might as well throw buckets of water at the walls.

A extractor fan typically uses 20W so will run for 24 hours continuously for 7p worth of electricity. Run it until the bathroom is dry and window is no longer misty.

if you are unable to use a washing line or tumble drier, then put your wet washing on an airer or roll-away line over the bath, and leave the bathroom extractor running and the door and window SHUT to prevent the moisture diffusing throughout the house.

Look at the airbricks that ventilate the void under the floor, clean out the dirt, rubble and cobwebs so there is a discernable airflow.

We have a condenser tumble dryer but I take it that the moisture that creates needs ventilating itself. Perhaps another extractor in the kitchen ?

Bathroom is too small for hanging washing but I take it that we need to look at another solution.

The property was built way before anyone thought of air bricks. It is built of stone and some brick, I guess much later. Problems I guess.

One thing is that I had a flat once where we hung up all the washing and that never suffered from condensation. Now in a house hanging up far far less and even without hanging any washing, there is massive condensation.

Sponsored Links
when the house was built it had draughty doors and windows, open fireplaces, no hot shower, and washing done once a week. In winter the air temperature indoors would have been much the same as outdoors, so little scope for condensation on windows and walls.

you have reduced the draught and increased the moisture load, so you need lots more ventilation.

have you looked under the floor yet to see how wet the ground is?

when the house was built it had draughty doors and windows, open fireplaces, no hot shower, and washing done once a week. In winter the air temperature indoors would have been much the same as outdoors, so little scope for condensation on windows and walls.

you have reduced the draught and increased the moisture load, so you need lots more ventilation.

have you looked under the floor yet to see how wet the ground is?

Your argument makes complete sense. Quite how I achieve the required additional ventilation I am not sure.

As to the floor, the cellar is totally dry and there is no meaningful run off from the gardens which hits the house. I've just stripped out a water cylinder from a part of the house where it is down to stone flags and they are bone dry. No indication of any water anywhere.

We have a condenser tumble dryer but I take it that the moisture that creates needs ventilating itself. Perhaps another extractor in the kitchen ?
Vent the tumble dryer to the outside.
Condensing or not, it will be releasing vast amounts of moisture into the air.

Sponsored Links
Vent the tumble dryer to the outside.
Condensing or not, it will be releasing vast amounts of moisture into the air.

Impractical to do that directly I'm afraid even if physically possible with a condenser model as there isn't an external opening near enough.

Also, because we do most of the drying at night to benefit from Economy 7 electric, we cannot very well leave the ground floor window open.

Yet I appreciate now we must look at a more balanced strategy as our modern way of life is simply not compatible with the old house in ventilation terms.

if you have to hang washing indoors, put it in the kitchen and run the extractor fan and shut the door until it is dry.

run the extractor whenever the windows are misty

if you leave the door open, the water vapour will diffuse throughout the house.

Bathrooms and kitchens need the extractors to be run until the windows are dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back