Chuggers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Despite a clear sign saying 'No Chuggers', this morning I had Sue Ryder chuggers knocking at my door. I don't open the door to anyone who knocks, rather I open the bay window, which overlooks the front door, which often startles them and makes it easy to just say 'no thanks' and quickly reclose the window, giving them no chance to launch into their spiel. Thing is, they are professional fund raisers, getting paid for fund raising - much/most/all of what you subscribe goes to them, and the fund raising company they work for - rather than Sue Ryder.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Good luck to them trying to get a penny out of Harold "Steptoe" Broomfield, with his spreadsheets and his hot water bottle on a string around his neck!

open the door and say "i dont have a bank account" then iff they are still there they may not be a chugger or just a bit slow digesting what you have said :giggle:

very few donations to charities will reach the front line with often more than 50% going in expenses
local charities tend to be better as the chuggers tend to be actual unpaid collectors

I had one just an hour ago -for Great Ormand Street, he said: can I sign you up just for the cost of a coffee a week...thats quite a bit a month.

they always want to set up a direct debit, hoping you will forget and the money gets taken out forever.

They say
- good day to you sir.
You can tell, at that point, from the silly smile.
Then there's the
- pause
while they expect you to answer, so they can hook you.
So you say "sorry I don't sell my personal information"
and they say
- sorry (Brit thing, you have to answer a sorry with a sorry), and you say
"don't worry about it"
and shut the door.

Sponsored Links
Back