Cinema style ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Making a budget version of this ceiling:

IMG_7215.PNG

From this:

IMG_7212.JPG

Would 3x2 screwed up into the 8x2 joists give that effect or does it need more than a 3" drop?

Sponsored Links
I’d guesstimate on the first pic that’s a 6” drop. But any drop will be noticeable.

Are you thinking about downlighting around the edge just like in the pic? Just wondering how much recessed middle you are going to have.... what’s youre room width? 8’? Length? The cinema room looks quite big and square in proportions.

Yes, downlight around the edge, I was going to do that 600mm wide.

The room is 5x2.8 so the 3" might suit it.

You going to do the led strip light too? If so, tlc electrical do this and a swanky aluminium profile to hide the led tape. I’m doing that around my roof lights..... blatantly stole the idea off another forum member as his looked so good.

Sponsored Links
Have a look on avforums.com there are lots of past examples.
I'd have thought you'd want a bigger drop than 63mm though.
From the video it look like they have done 8-10".

Wow!!! Imagine a penny less tramp did the same, that's what I'm aiming for :LOL:

I do like that star ceiling though, nights have to see if I can sort something like that out.

Here's mine after the first day, piece of string:
M
IMG_7217.JPG

Some wood:
IMG_7224.JPG

A back box and HDMI cable:
IMG_7229.JPG

I've ordered a cheap USB powered led strip that I was going to feel through with the hdmi cable but yours sound nice Pilsbury, I'll google them :)

If I had watched that video this morning I would have spaced the wood down another 3" :(

Starlight ceiling - you could spend a fortune and an eternity fitting thousands of mini leds or paint the ceiling black then brush flick white paint at it.

That’s the spirit! What is so impressive about that swanky home cinema when you have a £50k budget? Do it for £500..... now that’s impressive.

As for the rigid black sheet for the middle..... OSB painted with old engine oil.... will last a lifetime.

Watched the gadget show the other night. Short throw projector cost £2.5k. Keep it basic, paint an end wall matt white, get the projector, and a damned good sound system.

Use ply and a sprayer to get the night sky effect, and adjust the depth to the size of the lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back