Circuit cable runs behind old skirting board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of renovating the flat I've just moved into and found that part of the socket outlet ring circuit runs behind skirting board. The cable is unconduited and clipped to the brickwork. The sockets are in the wall above the skirting board.

The flat is Edwardian and the skirting board is that two-part stuff where the top section of moulding is separate to the lower section, which can be easily removed. This lower section is around 210mm deep and there is a space of around 50mm between it and the brickwork behind.

I'd say the circuit cable is relatively new (although pre-harmonised).

Okay:

1. Can I leave this as it is?

2. Should it be run in conduit?

3. If it should be run in conduit: earthed metal or plastic?

I had a quick word about this with my sparks about this and I think he said that plastic would be okay, although I'd assumed metal. However, I'd asked him several things in rapid succession, and we were in the pub, and am concerned that either he or I had got the wrong end of the stick.

The reason I'm asking this is that I can't check with him as he's away for six weeks (jammy sod) and I'm in the process of replacing and soundproofing my floors and it would be a lot easier for me if I could do so without worrying about cable runs and having to lift the boards again in a few weeks time.

Sorry, that was all a bit long winded for a simple question.

Cheers.

Spook.

Sponsored Links
behind skirting is not a safe zone so it need to be in earthed metal conduit. Plastic will not stop someone putting a screw/nail through it.

behind skirting is not a safe zone so it need to be in earthed metal conduit. Plastic will not stop someone putting a screw/nail through it.

Thanks.

Just wondering if the fact that there's a void behind the skirting might make a difference to that. (Incidentally, the bottom section of skirting is fitted at the top to a rebate in the top section of moulding and at the bottom to a narrow batten run along the floor - there are no vertical battens so it's a clear run of void right around the room).

Strange thing is then that if you mounted the socket in the skirting ( a crime punishable by death 2009, but common in the 70's-90's) then the cable pinned up at the back of the void would comply with safe zones and since being 50mm+ away from the surface wouldn't need RCD or metal conduit :eek:

safezones.jpg

Since the flooring is being lifted I'd suggest you 1st fix via cabling under the floor and vertical rise to each fitting.

I'd suggest you make sure the sparks is ok with this ***, and if so drop the cables in and photograph the sub floor runs so you can close off the floor while he's away.

*** = Sparks shouldn't sign off others work, so as a minimum (and if he allows) evidence of the sub floor routes may overcome that issue].

Thinking about this more, you could use a manufactured protected cable in the route via the void.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Chri5.

Given that my sparks is pretty anal (no criticism intended - not a bad thing in a sparks) I think I'll have to make sure the relevant boards are liftable so he can see for himself.

What kind of costs would be involved in the earthed metal cabling behind the skirting option - relative to a normal fix? I ask because as I'm soundproofing the floors sub-floor cable runs will involve cutting back the rockwool* or fannying around with cable size. I kind of like the idea of knowing, when I've fixed the floor, that, bar the radiator feeds, there's nothing under it but the soundproofing. (Yeah, okay, that's probably me being anal now, but the problem with soundproofing is that any compromise can affect the overall integrity of the job).

*On this matter: is there a recommended clearance between cable and thermal insulation. And once cut back, would it be good practice to fix the insulation somehow to prevent any future 'creep' (unlikely as that might be)?

Thanks again.

Spook.

If you look at my post "Whats the cable" should resolve the issue there (with luck).

Cable hot get warm under certain operating conditions, load and age.

A cable is designed to allow any heat to disperse and so cable on insulation, and cable in insulation have to be derated load wise. If you go in to the sub floor void I'd suggest you clip to the underside of the joists. Insulation would be between the joists and thus not in contact with the cables.
If the void is shallow and the cables will be in or on insulation it might be better to consider a 4mm TE cable for a 32a ring circuit.

Thanks again Chri5.

But regarding the earthed metal conduit option: is that a no-no, or just an overly expensive and/or awkward route to follow?

Sorry to bang on about it, but I always like to get the options straight in my head before I take any action.

Spook

Just in case you haven't seen the stuff, this would be an alternative worth considering. In use you wouldn't realise unless you tap it.

It's trunking made the same shape and size as skirting board.

Thanks again Chri5.

But regarding the earthed metal conduit option: is that a no-no, or just an overly expensive and/or awkward route to follow?

Sorry to bang on about it, but I always like to get the options straight in my head before I take any action.

Spook

Steel conduit is permitted, and IMO makes for the best installation you could get (apart form pyro :LOL: ), but it is time consuming to work with, and requires special tools to install it such as a bending machine and stocks and dies to thread the ends.

Surely if the skirting has ben made as a compartment for cable and an easily removed section to allow access then it complies with the regs so long as all cables within it are DI??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back