Circuit gone but fuse ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
None of the 13 amp sockets on one circuit are working, but the fuse hasn't blown. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you checked the other fuses as well? Just in case....

What caused the problem? Was it working one minute and not the next?

All fuses at the box are in tact. Everything on the circuit this morning was working fine. TV etc all switched off when we went out and when I tried to put computer on on my return home problem became apparent. Checked surge protector on computer equipment and that is fine.

:confused:
Doesn't sound too good does it?

From what you say, all the appliances on one circuit (ring) are now dead. This includes TV, plug in lamps, etc.

If everything else is working i.e. ceiling lights, other ring (if you live in a house as opposed to a flat), electric cooker, etc, then this really points to the fuse area. There's not a lot else to go wrong - especially if nothing's been touched or any problems experienced.

I assume all your fuses are in a single consumer unit. I hate to say it, but check the fuse again, make sure the wire is physically connected at both ends and hasn't gone (blown) away from the centre.

Failing that, you really need to get someone in to check it. It should be very straightforward to work out the cause of the problem.

Sponsored Links
If the socket circuit is a radial, not a ring, then it's easier to lose that - just takes 1 dropped connection.

Or ditto if it's not a circuit in its own right - I believe it has been known for people to install humungous spurs :eek:

Need to know more about the topography, what works/doesn't etc....

havent got an rcd have you? it may be that that has tripped (that will take out all the sockets)

When you say fuses intact, what method did you use to ascertain this?

Some blown fuses "look" OK, but when tested with a meter, are open-circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back