3kw water heater on a 13a plug or fcu?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would this be possible on this type of circuit...basically I wan't to replace a water heater that has been installed by plugging into a 13a socket that has blown up (after about 20 years by the looks of it!)

My calculations @ 240v...would be looking at ~12.5 amps, is this ok to use a 13 amp plug and socket or fcu or would I be looking at running an independant spur from the fuse box. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
are we talking immersion heater here or an instant heat for a single point or small number of points here?

single point jobbie, just a little over the sink thing in our workshop

A fcu or a GOOD QUALITY plug and socket on the socket circuit should be fine unless other load is unusually high, it's no worse a load than a washing machine or similar.

avoid cheap plugs and sockets, they often don't get on well with loads that pull the full 13A.

Sponsored Links
Nice, thanks matey!

Just one more question, do I need to earth bond the copper pipe that will be feeding it?

there is no requirement for such a bond in BS7671 but if the manufacturer tells you to fit one then follow thier instructions.

Bad practice to feed big fixed loads like this from a ring final circuit :( , though I will conceed that an instantanous water heater like this isn't quite as bad as an immersion heater (which could be running for hours)

Follow plugwash's advice to repair it, but it really ought to be moved onto a dedicated circuit...

Isn't there something in the regs about not mounting sockets within a certain distance of a sink?

Also, make sure your taps, pipework and sink (if metal) is bonded to earth.

Bad practice to feed big fixed loads like this from a ring final circuit :( , though I will conceed that an instantanous water heater like this isn't quite as bad as an immersion heater (which could be running for hours)
A washing machine draws just as much power, probablly draws it for longer and has requirements that mean while it can techincally be moved for most practical purposes it may as well be fixed and noone seems to worry about putting those on a ring.

Isn't there something in the regs about not mounting sockets within a certain distance of a sink?
Theres the one which says something along the lines of that all equipment must be of a design appropriate to the conditions where it is installed.
Why? I suppose you could do a little bit of local supplementary equipotential bonding but as a workshop isn't a special location this isn't really required, then there's the argument about being in contact with a large earthed piece of metal (sink) whilst coming into contact with a faulty appliance etc.

Yeah, supp bonds not required outside a special loc.

My problem with this is the possibility of creating multiple earth paths.

I don't have too much of a problem with it being a large lump of earthed metal, as it should be at the same potential as the cpc in the faulty appliance, hence no p.d.

The socket is about 1.5m above the height of the sink (not installed by myself) would it be better to just use a fcu? Not really any different tho is it!?

Looking at the circuit again it looks to be a spur off the ring main :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back