Circular Saw blade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to cut new 4x2s. I have a brand new circular saw but cutting 4x2s is a nightmare.. its smoky and takes a bit of effort..

I'm suspecting it's the blade but not sure.. can someone recommend a good blade? Or is it the 4x2s?

Sponsored Links
I would assume its the right way round as I just took it out of the box. Yes it's alright teeth wood blade

Last edited:
take a picture of the blade in the saw

sometimes new saws come with very cheap blades, and don't assume because it new the blade is in the right way round.

Sponsored Links
I would assume its the right way round as I just took it out of the box
Sad to say, that's no proof of anything any more. What type/model of saw is it? Is it running up to speed properly and does it slow down a lot when you start the cut?

4x2 should not even register is the speed wheel at max ?? assuming it has one [mitre saw] are we talking new dry softwood here as old oak or wet wood can be really really difficult

is this a table saw and is the fence parralel as in will burn on the fence side but not the offcut side iff tight at the back ??
or is it a hand held saw the usual definition off "circular saw"??

Last edited:
Sad to say, that's no proof of anything any more. What type/model of saw is it? Is it running up to speed properly and does it slow down a lot when you start the cut?

True.. its a Parkside 1350w electric handheld saw. Running upto speed properly.

4x2 should not even register is the speed wheel at max ?? assuming it has one [mitre saw] are we talking new dry softwood here as old oak or wet wood can be really really difficult

is this a table saw and is the fence parralel as in will burn on the fence side but not the offcut side iff tight at the back ??
or is it a hand held saw the usual definition off "circular saw"??

It's not a table saw, it's a hand held saw with 2200 to 4700 rpm, set to speed setting 6 as per the handbook..

The 4x2s are fresh C24s so like you I was suspecting it was smoking because is its new and fresh treated wood which is still wet.

I have found some technique, if I start cutting from the top its much better (compared to starting to cut from side to side).

I was also under the impression that 4x2s with the circular saw would be a breeze

The 4x2s are fresh C24s so like you I was suspecting it was smoking because is its new and fresh treated wood which is still wet.
that sounds like the issue, I have often had to work with wet stuff days out of the tanalising process. it doesn't like being cut - dangerous really, especially if ripping.

Thanks for the input guys.. Will try it on another material and report back.

was this purchased from Lidl recently ? If they have still in stock, they may exchange , otherwise its just a refund.
have you cut any other material , or is the first use on those 4x2 , i cut I have cut a lot of ct16 posts which are 95x45 for the garden, at a 60degree angle and also square off the length - really easy, so as you saw - it should be a breeze, unless its really wet.

To check if it's the tool or the wood, try doing a cut with a sharp hand saw.
If you struggle, the wood is too wet.
A sharp hand saw should go through a 4x2 in 20 seconds max.

Have you tried the 24 tooth blade rather 48 tooth blade? It seems to be supplied with both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back