circular saw, corded or cordless? help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i want to buy a circ saw for cutting manufactured board and just general diy jobs,
i was going to buy a makita cordless but a few people have advised against it because of power or run time, i have no specific reason to needing a cordless, just could use my drill batterys with it.

what do you think i should?
any help would be appreciated :)

thanks
tom

Sponsored Links
A corded circ certainly will have more power than any cordless. Depends what cordless drills you have and whether the manufacturer does a circular saw that uses the same batteries. ;) ;) ;)

thanks for a quick reply, ive got makita batterys, and could get a saw to go with them but apparently my 1.3ah batterys would be naf

do you think i will be ok with a cordless or should get a corded?

thanks
tom

As you would need to invest in extra batteries to make it usable then the cordless option becomes a lot more expensive than a £60 bosch b&q corded jobbie (or similar)

I would have said different if you'd had say 3.0ah batteries.

If you will be cutting full length 2.4m boards then something like this will be useful.

Sponsored Links
Try searching on YouTube for "cordless circular saw" as I remember seeing some videos about them. Might help you make your choice.

Rgds

all depends on what you are thinking off doing
if you are doing a 8ft and a 4ft cut every hour and using the drill in between then no probs
if you plan 8 x8ft cuts then no unless you have time to spare whilst you wait for batteries to charge
basicly what you have is the higher draw tools with the lowest power batteries
a bit like having a bus with a car fuel tank it will work if the bus is on short journeys with long breakes inbetween to refuel

another point you need to be sure the batteries and saw are compatable as in
if its not ryobi or dewalt new batteries dont fit old tools or old batteries dont fit new tools
so assuming your batteries are nicad your saw needs to be nicad as well

If you dont need cordless then go for corded.

I have a Ryobi drill with 2.4Ah li-on batteries and I bought the angle grinder with the set as it was on special offer at half price. I tried using it to cut up a 19" rack and each battery lasted about 3 minutes.
Your batteries will probably be ok for a quick couple of cuts but if you want to use it to cut more than a few things at once then you really want to go for a corded model.

hi everyone thanks for replying,
i think im going to go corded, i will also be using it at work so i will be using it sometimes for days at a time, but im on a bench so i will be ok with 240 i think,
any recomendations for a corded circular saw? preferably with laser?

thanks tom

p.s. i loved big all's comparison :LOL:

If you dont need cordless then go for corded.

I have a Ryobi drill with 2.4Ah li-on batteries and I bought the angle grinder with the set as it was on special offer at half price. I tried using it to cut up a 19" rack and each battery lasted about 3 minutes.
Your batteries will probably be ok for a quick couple of cuts but if you want to use it to cut more than a few things at once then you really want to go for a corded model.

as long as you remember with li-ion batteries you can get a 70 percent charge in about 15 mins it can help extend the work time

p.s. i loved big all's comparison :LOL:

some people get confused and think higher amp hour batteries means greater power

so i normally say the engine is the volts and the fuel tank is the ah but in this instance to exaggerate and make the point how undersized it is i went for something bigger :D :D

30129.jpg

this is better

nice saw, bit pricey though :), any recomendations
preferably under the 80 quid mark?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back