Circular saw damage after kickback?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a dewalt circular saw, and was making a cut in a really dumb way and had a pretty significant kickback. The blade was pretty obviously bent so I replaced it, but now with the new blade on the blade rubs on the guard. The blade seems solid and and straight, no wobble or anything. The saw sounds right, other than the scraping on the guard. The guard does not appear to be bent (I don't know how the guard would get bent in a kickback anyways)...it's pretty solid and won't bend easily - I've tried to bend it away from the blade, unsuccessfully. It *seems* like maybe the whole shaft has shifted out a 1/4 inch or so...is that possible? Has anyone seen something like this before?

Sponsored Links
you sure its not catching the riving knife if they have them in canada
i know the u.s dont use them nor do i

No, no riving knife on this saw. I don't think I've ever actually seen one on a circular saw :)

Sponsored Links
As the motor is held in the body, and the spindle seems to be okay, then if it's a spindle problem, then the motor in the body would have to have been bent or twisted off of it's supports, and that would very likely damage the bearings as well. If the blade had bent, then it would have bent inside the guard, so it's more likely to be a guard issue. I've had a couple of circular saws with Riving knife, but they don't seem to be so common nowadays. Is there a local shop that you can go and have a look at one.

Post some pictures though

Here's a few pics. The guard must've bent I guess, although it doesn't look bent...everything looks aligned correctly, just the blade is sitting like a 1/4" out from where it should (relative to the guard). I tried to show the spindle in the pics...you can see it *maybe* looks like it came out a bit? I've never really paid much attention to how much it sticks out before tho...

Attachments

• IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2555.JPG
    IMG_2555.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2556.JPG
    IMG_2556.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 181
The guard actually looks okay, and is straight. It almost looks as though in picture 2, the sprindle assembly has shifted toward the outer part of the guard, and that would suggest the bearing assembly may have been knoocked out of the body.

Yeah, that's what it kinda seemed like to me too...i guess I'll hafta see if I can take it apart to see what's up

how old is it ??
do you have a 30 day return
or a 3year gtee in canada ??

Oh, it's probably 12 years old...although I haven't used it too much, but yeah I'm sure it's out of any warranty period.

In image 2560, it looks like you have got...

Flange -> washer -> blade -> bolt

When it should be...

Flange -> blade -> washer -> bolt

i think riving knifes are a requirement in some countries and not others
some working practices in the "new yankee workshop" would have health and safety having a heart attack over here:D

Here's a few pics. The guard must've bent I guess, although it doesn't look bent...everything looks aligned correctly, just the blade is sitting like a 1/4" out from where it should (relative to the guard). I tried to show the spindle in the pics...you can see it *maybe* looks like it came out a bit? I've never really paid much attention to how much it sticks out before tho...

Looking at the first photo the blade looks parallel to the base. Best way to check would be with a vernier caliper.

Next thing I'd do is use a dial indicator on the furthest ends of the blade against the base and by hand turn the blade to make sure the Arbor isn't giving run out.

As long as the motor is turning and the blade isn't running out too much and the blade itself is parallel to the leading edge of th base it's the blade guard that's damaged.

The 'outer' guard is fixed to the motor housing so there's a slim chance that's damaged. The self retracting section however is often crap on most saws and I'd consider that's the problem.

Have you tried to cut since? Mark a straight line and follow it with the base, if the blade binds it's the motor Arbor what's damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back