circular saw problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own an hitachi c9u2 circular saw, which I have rarely used, however today I plugged it into the 110 transformer and pulled the switch on the saw, it started to work and then cut out again. I had a look at the "bushes" but don't really know what I am looking at, put it back together and plugged it back in and the same thing happened again, started and immediately cut out again. I have checked the connections inside the saw and at the plug end and all seems well, the lead isn't damaged and the transformer is functioning as it should, any idea's would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S It is out of warranty as the saw is three years old.

Sponsored Links
do i need to leave in the house to dry it out or have I done permanent damage to it, do you think?

Sponsored Links
wondering if theres a break in the wires near to where it comes out of the saw?had this a few times with other tools where you coil the cable into a small supplied box and over time the inner cables break.wiggle the cable when you press the switch.

certainly look and see
if its a dead short then dapness can cause a short
look for obviouse wet or damp including the plug

first try drying in a warm place for a few days

what can happen is the carbon brushes can glaze over
unplug remove the brushes
clean the commutator with brasso silver polish or simmilar non abrasive cleaner
thoroughly clean off any residue when dry

remove the surface film off the carbon brushes with a very very fine file or fine sandpaper wipe clean
check the springs

reassemble
the brushes will continue to spark untill they wear in

thank you gregers but i had already checked the cables etc.

Thank you Big-all, I did exactly as you suggested and the saw is working a treat again, very much appreciated saved me £175.00.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back